Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Scroll Saw Puzzles
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Intarsia Moderator

WOW !! can't wait to see more. Those are beautiful. So when you sell something like this - it has 3 puzzles in it? Do they have to figure out what layer goes where or do you have them labelled in some way? Very interesting.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Puzzle Making Muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette View Post
WOW !! can't wait to see more. Those are beautiful. So when you sell something like this - it has 3 puzzles in it? Do they have to figure out what layer goes where or do you have them labelled in some way? Very interesting.
Thanks, Janette!

When this is done and boxed, all of the pieces from all three layers will be placed into the box together, without being separated. After assembly, the three layers will hold together without the top portions sliding over the bottom ones. In fact, it could even be hung on a wall as a picture!

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #13

Hi Shawn,

This is a great idea. I've done multi-layer puzzles where the three pictures are different, but not used the same picture multiple times to add depth (and difficulty!).

How do you attach the layers? Do you have some pieces which attach multiple layers together to perform the lock?

--Rob
Arcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #14

Shawn - they were clamoring for a tutorial, not a master's class!

John
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
Silver Fox Puzzles

Shawn...i am so totally on board and blown away by this puzzle.....you have added another dimension to puzzles......i am ready for the next installment.....you are truly a "puzzle artist.".......

is the next part here yet??....is it?...is it??

Bob
Old 12-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Senior member...Sweeet

OK that's enough torture.......I want to learn, I want to learn, I want to learn.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
one cut at a time

Way cool Shawn!! I've been off the boards a while now, but WOW!! What a great thing to see when I finally come back! Keep these posts coming

Jerry
Old 12-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #18
Puzzle Making Muggle

Thank you, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
How do you attach the layers? Do you have some pieces which attach multiple layers together to perform the lock?

--Rob
That's pretty much the principle I use, Rob. I create special "anchor" pieces which hold each layer in place. I'll show pictures of how I do it when I get to that part, which hopefully will show things better than I can explain.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
Puzzle Making Muggle

How To Do It: A Step By Step Guide

Making a multi-layered jigsaw puzzle requires that you have multiple images of the same picture. Simply, you'll need one image for every layer you wish to add. The images should all be of the same proportions.

"Greeting The Season" was cut using Christmas cards for the picture. Greeting cards are an excellent source for a small multi-layered puzzle such as this, as they are cheap to buy and often come in boxes of multiple copies.

Larger puzzles may be created using a similar technique. In "Imaginary Flight," there are two layers cut, but only in certain areas of the puzzle. This makes part of the puzzle "jump out" of the picture, including the children's left arms/legs, the engine and left wing of the "plane" and the little umbrella.

This is a 327 piece puzzle.

Back to our Christmas project, let's look at the card I chose to use.

With the picture you use, study it for a while and try to define aspects of the picture which are in the foreground and those which are in the background. In this particular picture, I felt that I could cut it into three distinct areas of focus.

In the foreground are the various shoppers and the parked truck. In the middle ground is the Toy Shop. Finally, in the background are the blueish colored buildings in the distance.

What made this particular puzzle interesting for me to cut was the existence of the archway, which would allow the viewer to look right through to the background.

Some decisions will have to be made regarding what aspects of the picture to leave where. As an example, I chose to leave some of the shoppers, including the gentleman with the umbrella and the lady with the dog in the middle ground (with the Toy Shop and the arch itself).

Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
Puzzle Making Muggle

So with this puzzle, I've decided to have three distinct areas of focus, so I'll need three identical cards.

You'll want to glue each picture to an individual piece of plywood.

When glueing the picture, always leave a border of wood around the edges. In other words, use a larger piece of wood than need for your picture. This will allow you to have total control of how the border will be cut on your final puzzle.

When cutting a multi-layered puzzle with my technique, it is important to cut the puzzle board including the elements closest to the viewer first, and then eventually cutting the boards sequentially further away from the viewer one at a time. The reason for this will become clear shortly.

An order of events will repeat themselves with each layer.

1: Cut out the elements desired for that layer
2: Cut that layers elements into puzzle pieces, designating special "anchor pieces" along the way (I'll get to that)
3: Glue anchor pieces to the next deepest layer
4: Repeat process with next deepest layer

So here is the puzzle board for my top layer, closest to the viewer.

(Step 1): From this layer, I've decided to include the truck parked to the right, the three shoppers in the immediate foreground, and the man with the monkey. I've decided to cut out the little dog sitting next to him as well.

Tags
figural, jigsaw puzzle, mulit-layered, tutorial