Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Scroll Saw Puzzles
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #11

Carter,
Thanks for that video. Very, very impressive. You cut in less then 3 minutes what it takes me about 10 minutes to cut. And your control and turning speed is awesome.

Paul S.
Paul S WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #12

Many, many thanks, folks, for your kind comments. Those are some nice responses on a Saturday night. That's what makes it all worthwhile.

Brad, the guy you refer to is Mark Cappitella, a friend whom I met when we both first started twelve years ago. He decided to make a profession of it whereas I made up my mind early I did not want to sell my puzzles. Mark, on the other hand, has really been a success, pulling in multi-six figures and charging about $1.75 per puzzle piece. He has an amazing web site at mgcpuzzles.com.

After Stave and Elms Puzzles, both of whom employ puzzle cutters, Mark works alone and is the third most popular puzzle maker in the country. There are others who do it as a full time business, not very many but certainly more than three (I know cause we've met together).

Most other puzzle makers cut much more artistic puzzle pieces than I do, but I'm pretty sure I'm the most severe color line cutter of all of us.

Great PHUN.........Carter
Carter-Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #13
Cabinet Maker

G'day Carter,
That was excellent. If can get my speed up to a third of yours, I'd be ecstatic

“In my acting, I have to identify with something in the character. The big tough boy on the side of right—that’s me. Simple themes. Save me from the nuances. All I do is sincerity, and I’ve been selling the hell out of that ever since I started.
John Wayne
Some of my Stuff
Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers Ass.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #14
Fallen Angel

Great video ! I hope you don't mind, Carter, but I've already posted a link to it over on the UKWorkshop forum. Everyone who's interested in scrolling ought to see you in action.

Gill
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #15

Carter,
Wonderfull demonstration! Seeing the video makes me want to get back into making puzzles (your way). I have several ready to be cut but going to wait until I open my new Dewalt 788 for Christmas. The ones I made a few months ago were cut with a Dremel 1680. A guy told me the Dewalt 788 will do much better than the Dremel far as cutting sharp turns because of the way it was set up. Not sure why but soon will find out.
Just wish I had half your talent, speed and quality. Take care and wishing you and yours a "Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year"!
Sonja
SonjaRaquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #16

Carter:

Thank-you for the video. Well done.

You showed very impressive control over the twisting motion around the blade.

BTW: I presume the speed of the saw's upper arm is an illusion due to the video recording media. The saw sounded like it was running at a much higher SPM.

Phil
GrayBeard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #17

Thanks, Phil. I noticed that illusion when I played it back. The DeWalt saw's speed control goes from 0 to 8. I run mine for puzzle cutting at about 6.4. With my particular machine, that speed, which is indeed faster than it appears on the video. effectively combines cutting ability and low vibration.

When I cut the little postage stamp puzzles, I cut the speed to 4 and lower the tension from 4.5 (out of 5) to 3. Maybe next month I'll film a close-up video cutting pieces for a stamp.

Carter
Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #18

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I can't find the post or remember th answer. What glue is best used to attach photo paper to BB plywood?

What I like about puzzle cutting is that is similar to an improvised jazz solo. No such thing as a wrong cut (note) so you can cut with confidence.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
Banned

Great idea Gill
Quote:
Great video ! I hope you don't mind, Carter, but I've already posted a link to it over on the UKWorkshop forum. Everyone who's interested in scrolling ought to see you in action.

Gill
I just now put it on my own Woodworking Friends site as well. This is a must see video for all scrollers even if they are not into jigsaw puzzles.
Not only does it show expert jigsaw puzzle making but it also shows how many of us spin the wood when cutting with a flat blade . It might help some scrollers that have been using only spirals to try the smoother and faster cutting flat blades if they have never actually seen flat blades being properly used the way Carter demomstrates it. .

Thanks Carter for a great video.
William Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #20

Thanks, Bill. I never know which or how many forums to post something to, and it's especially nice when friends like you and Gil do it for me.

New Mexico, I like your jazz analogy. I'm not sure that everyone can improvise in music, but I do feel that, with practice, any scroll sawer can cut puzzles freehand. For some answers to your question, I refer to Bill's forum for a set of instructions I wrote on cutting freehand puzzles. Here it is:

http://wmyoung.proboards107.com/inde...ead=1173906092

Heav phun.......Carter

Last edited by Carter-Johnson; 12-09-2007 at 12:52 PM.