Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Publisher Feedback
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Publisher Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

Default Patterns

I just purchased Box Making Projects by Gary Mackay and the articles are really good.

I wanted to make the recipe box and the plans call to enlarge 110%. I have a older scanner and it is a difficult process to enlarge. Sunday and Staples is closed.

I don't know what the current policy is but this is painful. The patterns shoudl be at least at 100%.

I would pay a small premium to be able to download the plans in a scalable format or purchase on DVD.

Don
Don in Brooklin On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior member...Sweeet

After scanning it in your computer see if your printer has a feature to print it out at 110%.
I have a HP printer, and all I do is click the file I want to print, click File>Print>Preferences>Effects> click in the box where it displays 100% and change it to 110% then click OK. You may have a different printer but search around for similar wording any you should be able to print out at 110% right from your printer. Good luck.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

I use my printer and at times I only enlarge 1/2 at a time and then join the two pages.
Roger
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
World's Greatest Scroller

I used my brother all in one to enlarge patterns all the time up to 150% with out any problems. You should be able to go to any place that has a copier and enlarge the pattern really easy since it will only be 10% larger. But if you plan on enlarging a lot of patterns you may want to invert in a new printer with a scanner.
Band Saw Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
cute and crafty

Don, there does appear to be a policy change, at least in my case. For my bowl book, patterns were sometimes printed smaller than actual size and had to be enlarged by the reader. For my box book, all the patterns are printed at 100%, which is far preferable.

And I agree with WD--you probably have a command somewhere that lets you resize the document for printing. Or maybe even some photo editing software that lets you do the image itself.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Thanks everyone.

I do have a workaround.

For some reason my Brother Laser will not scale even though it says it should.

I have scanned in, cropped the image and then resized.

My point to the publisher is that I would rather not do this.

My preference would be able to get patterns on download or DVD then I can do whatever.

Don
Don in Brooklin On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

I think that the publisher should make the patterns available via download also. I also end up having to scan the patterns and then size as needed. Things have changed and the publishing industry needs to change with it. I ended up purchasing the DVDs of the older issues of the magazine to ease my scanning; however, at least one pattern was not complete and when there are updates to a pattern in a future issue, they did not put the update with the pattern.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #8

Why don't you just download the FREE Irfanview program?
To enlarge I just open the pattern in Irfanview.. click on print and tell the printer what I want it to do.... can't get any simpler then that.
You don't even have to install it.. it also has a version for USB stick.... very small footprint and you can do so much with it. Scaling is just one of the many things. I've been using it since 10 years! Enlarge, Shrink, outline..... for quick things like that it even beats photoshop.
keju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #9

method #
- scan or download the picture.

- open word and insert the the picture as an image

- resize it as you need by pulling the little place holder things and print. I make the margins as wide as possible side to side and top to bottom.

method #2

- right click on image and select print. this will give you a few choices of different sizes to print from full page to 3 x 5's. very easy to do.
crupiea is offline   Reply With Quote