Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Off Topic
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #1

Default after market air pump

Hi .
I fired up my old sears/craftman scroll saw yesterday to cut some basket patterns. I decided to cut a half basket to hang on the wall to see the effect . I got about an inch into the wood when I noticed the dust piles up . I adjusted the air hose to no avail although air was coming out of it . Next I raised the rear leg of the table on a tilt hoping the dust would slide ahead a bit .Nope. I then held a vaccum nozzle near the blade as I couldn't attach it .Now using one hand . Not working well . Shut off the vaccum and opted for a small brush . It was like trying to follow a line on a highway in a snow storm . I made a couple of passes and wondered if it was the cedar that was the problem . Tried pine . Same problem . Shut machine down and started cutting on my Dewalt . No problem .
The sears runs fine it just needs a better blower system . Is there an aftermarket system available ?? Thanks .Roger
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior member...Sweeet

Ramjet some people use a fish tank pump

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #3

Hi WD . Thanks ; I'll lookinto that . Roger
Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #4

Default air pump

Hi .
I read of another method besides using a fish tank air pump to blow the dust away from the scroll saw blade . It is suggested in abook by Pat Spielman . Use a cook's baster. Put baster on the floor and run a hose to the blade area . Pump with foot . Simple and inexpensive .
What do you think? Roger
Old 04-18-2008, 03:02 AM   #5
Dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet
Use a cook's baster. Put baster on the floor and run a hose to the blade area . Pump with foot . Simple and inexpensive .
What do you think? Roger
May be inexpensive, how long do you think your leg would last. I have been using an aquarium pump for years, works Great. This provides a consistant air flow at all speeds. I have it velcroed to the top of the saw.
Dean
SNAPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #6

Hi. I have just bought an aquarium pump and was curious as to how the baster would work . Not sure if I purchased the right size pump ? Will know in a day or so . Thanks .Roger
Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #7

I took a baster bulb and placed it in the housing under the lower arm of the saw and ran a tube to my jointed dust blowing arm...works great although it does work itself loose periodically. Doesn't happen often enough to motivate me to fix it more permanently tho.
greg126 is offline   Reply With Quote