Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Magazine and Members > Off Topic
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #41

Gill, have your gas prices gone up much or have they always been that high?

Bob

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!
Greenfield_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #42
Fallen Angel

Prices have risen by about 8 pence per litre over the last six months (ball park 60c per gallon?) and motorists are really hurting. Moreover, it is having a knock on effect because goods are not as cheap to transport as they once were.

This is a crisis that's been looming since the 70s. It's such a pity our leaders (on both sides of the Pond) didn't prepare for it years ago by funding research into alternative energy sources. I know some wars are unavoidable, but when I think how much money has literally gone up in smoke at the hands of the military over the last couple of decades, it makes me wince. I wonder how much better off we'd be now if even a tenth of that money had been invested in energy research.

Gill
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #43
Seasoned WV Veteran

Default Smoking

Why do you folks say that stopping smoking is so difficult? I used to quit 2 or 3 times a day and it never bothered me. However on 22 May 1986, at 2253 hours (not that anyone is counting) I smoked my last one. Seems I contracted the big C. Oral cancer on my tongue. That was the day Walter Reed confirmed the diagnosis. Smoked about two packs on my drive back from DC and the last one that night. I had previously tried the gums, pills, etc. What got me through it this time was Tic Tacs. Bought them wholesale by the case. Be careful of the orange ones though. They make you really passionate. LOL I have only stopped temporarily. I used tobacco for 40 years and Im going to stop for 40 years. That means I can light up again when Im 88. Im really looking forward to it. Yeah, right.

The biggest problem was the cost for stopping. (Eve gave me this logic) I smoked 3 cartons a week. Bought them at the commissary and saved $2 a carton. That was a savings of $6 a week. Now Im not saving that money any more. Oh yeah, I gained 30 pounds quickly. Everything tasted so much better and Tic Tacs have calories.

Serious now. The Drs wouldnt say smoking caused my cancer. Only it contributed to it. They were much more interested in the fact I was a pipe smoker for many, many years. I also chewed during HS (Im a West Virginian remember). Thankfully the cancer is still in remission (picture Chase knocking on wood).

So all you smokers just stop. Buy some Tic Tacs and stop. You can do it.

Gas: Feel sorry for you guys still commuting to work. Have son in Calif with 60 miles each way. Here in VA, $3.15/gal today.

Chase

Visit my album @ http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks...-by-Chase.html and click on the album link.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #44

I just checked online and the price per barrel is still just a bit over $110 per barrel. Amount of oil on hand doesn't seem to be a factor these day. Our country has plenty in reserve. All we can do is wince and bear it. We're still at $3.15 per gallon here, but 2 days ago I drove to the far east side of the state and filled up for $2.98 per gallon. On the other side of the Mississippi, in Wisconsin, it was $3.19. I guess their state gas tax is higher. It's all part of the equation. Considering I really don't have to drive to go to work, it wouldn't have to affect me. However, if I want good photo ops, I need to drive quite aways. I drove a round trip of 442 miles, for these and more shots similar. It was worth it to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webeagle1.jpg (116.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg webeagle3.jpg (185.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg webeagle8.jpg (121.4 KB, 9 views)

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos
Minnesota scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #45
Seasoned WV Veteran

Folks, if you want to see some great animal/nature pics go to Mike's web site. You'll be impressed, I was.

Chase

Visit my album @ http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks...-by-Chase.html and click on the album link.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #46

Hi Mike, those are nice pics. I too love to watch the majestic eagles. It just so happens that the eagle winter over here just a mile or so from my home. Many evenings I can see as many as 20 or 30 eagles fly right over my home as they fly from the Farmington Bay bird refuge where the feed during the day to where they roost in the trees up on the hill side in the evening.

Anyway. back to the thread. Here is an intresting site that can perhaps save a little on the prices of gas. I have no idea if it will work, but it will be interesing to look in to. Run Your Car on Water

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
and website www.billswoodntreasures.com
utbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #47

Thanks Bill and Chase. Wildlife photography is my passion. Bill, you are so lucky to live next door to a bunch of eagles.

Running your car on water sounds interesting. Try it Bill, and report back with the results. If it works good for you, I'll jump in.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #48

Now they are blaming the high oil prices on our weak dollar. What will be the next excuse?