Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Info Exchange
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Info Exchange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Naughty, but nice!

Default Top Tip - DIY dowel making - ingeneniously simple way to make good quality dowels

For a good while I've been looking for a quick simple way to make my own dowels mainly for use in furniture construction but also in toy making. I don't own a lathe and don't need the added distraction of one in the shop - I have enough trouble getting things done as it is! Up to this past weekend I'd settled on making a couple of jigs for my router and was pretty happy to use them - even made a small bench mounted router table for the purpose - that is until this past weekend when I accidentally stumbled on this YouTube video by a Japanese guy.

YouTube - ??2???????I make a round stick with the sawblade .

To be honest my first thought on seeing this guy's technique was 'jeeze' that is pretty crude!' but yesterday i was desperate for a few 3/8" dowel pegs and thought I'd give it a try. It took me about 10 mins to make the first jig shown in the video and cut a dozen square section rods on the table saw. It took me much less than 10 mins to produce a dozen pretty accurate 2 ft long lengths of 3/8" dowel. Amazing!

I'm so sold on this idea that I'm going to replicate the wooden block the guy uses in 1" thick steel and include holes for the 3 dowel sizes I use most often 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". Using steel will get around the potential wear of the holes drilled in a wooden block. Also when I made my dowels I didn't use a heavy hacksaw blade to cut them but a medium tooth jigsaw blade instead which does a much smoother job on smaller dowels. I also found that if you feed the rod very quickly the cutter produces a spiral groove down the dowel which is great for holding the glue in jointing pegs - an added bonus!

Below the video there is a link to the guys home page which is full of text in Japanese but it also includes loads of images. Scrolling down the page you can see how he chucked up a length of wood using a spade bit and a hose clamp for when he made the large dowel in the video. Another neat idea.

This is definitely a winning top tip for me and the only thing wrong with it is that i didn't think of it first! LOL!

Enjoy

Dozing off? - nah, I'm creatively thinking with my eyes closed!

Last edited by jim_mex; 11-30-2010 at 06:31 PM.
jim_mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #2

I found my way to his videos yesterday. Amazing what that man can do with very little investment but a WHOLE lot of ingenuity.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #3

Jim - Now that is a first for me too. Pretty interesting. Kudos to you for giving it a try. I think your steel jig is a very good idea. As they say necessity is the mother of invention! Cool!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Rock 'n Scroller

great tip Jim. I must give it a try. Not yet though too cold to get in the shop. 9" of snow and -4 degrees C
Mick
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Max

Cool. I've seen a guy make a dowel with a bandsaw and now with a drill. Why did I buy a lathe?

"...vegetarian is an Indian word meaning lousy hunter." Steve Smith (aka Red Green)
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior member...Sweeet

Now that is SWEEEEEET.........thanks for the link Jim.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Now that is smart ....thanks Jim!!

Cheers,

Rhys
Hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #8

That's cool,Jim.Thanks for the link.
seyit

Visit My Gallery

Seyit's Gallery
seyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #9

Thumbs up

That is great and gives me ideas I wonder if it works with hardwoods when you get set up jim will you give it a try and let us know.

Never argue with a fool, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #10

I got lost for a while there looking at allll the neat stuff he makes.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
Desert Woodcrafters woodworking club
Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.
stephenD is offline   Reply With Quote