Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Info Exchange
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Info Exchange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #1

Default Photo to Intarsia Pattern.

As the regular members know, I can't spell worth spit and this computer is not my friend.
Anyway for the past month I have been trying to convert photos to line drawings that are good enough and fine enough for Intarsia.
I use Vista and have Adobe Photoshop 6.01 and Photoshop elements 5.0
I have spent the better part of the last month going on the internet and following the instruction I can find and none so far give me a line drawing that is even close to being useable.
It would be nice if the end result was red lines but that I can do on my light table with a red pen.
If anyone can help me I would sure be gratefull.

In our house, if you have to bend over to pet a dog it ain't a real dog!
greatdane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #2

You know what Alan, I would like that too. I have lots of adobe downlouds. but don't know how to use them. thanks for asking. your friend Evie

Last edited by minowevie; 11-14-2008 at 04:06 PM.
minowevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #3

Hello guys.

Just a quick hint on how to take a photo and make an intarsia pattern.

Save picture in Photoshop or elements format (will not be a JPEG or gif), so you can work with levels.

Change resolution to as high as your computer will allow (higher resolution= bigger file and at some point it will crash your friend (computer). You can find resolution under the drop down menu for "image" (depending on which program you have or which version it might say something different) to "resize". Here you can change size of picture too. Just don't blow it up so large you get really large "jaggies" (IMPORTANT, make sure the box has a check mark in to "keep portions". Saves lots of work!). Click "OK". Go back and check resolution and size again. Adobe seems to have a mind of it's own about changing these at same time. When you get what you want (and remember, after all is said and done, you can change your finished pattern to anything you want),go to drop down menu "layers" (or find a drop down that gives you options for layers (depends on program and version again) and select "New Raster layer". When to pop-up arrives, make transparency 40-60% (your choice, I recommend this range). Now you might see another option of creating a "vector" layer, DO NOT select this option!!)

Now this puts a semi-clear drawing layer over your picture. If you can't see your picture well enough, go to the "edit" drop-down menu and select "undo".

Go back and create another new layer and set transparency to 60%)Caveat, make the transparency as high a value as you can work with, later on this .

Now the hard work. Go to the little brush icon on the left of screen and select brush. Again, depending on version and program, set size of brush to 5-7 pixels (5 being my preference). Select a brush color of black (or red). Now with mouse trace your pattern on new layer, just like you are using tracing paper. Don't do large area all at once, but lift left mouse button (or pen, if using a tablet (much preferred!), so when you do a boo boo, you can go up to the "edit" drop-down menu and select "undo". It will remove the line you were just doing (between the last time you lifted the mouse button to the time you didlifted left mouse button, just before the last time). It takes practice, and I use this little trick all the time.

Now here is where you might have to explore your program or version a little on your own. I use Corel's Paint Shop Pro X3 and Adobe's Photoshop X2, both fairly new program versions and I have the memory of 5 year old when it comes to older versions, but you can go two ways here when you have all the parts traced out, you can go back to "layers" drop down menu (or whatever it said where you created your raster layer), and find the option to "Merge Down", or "merge flat" and you will make the two layers (the original, and new, become one layer. Now if you got your transparency just right you will see your traced lines over your original photo. If too low a value of transparency, the original photo will be very faint, if too high, your lines may be too faded out to see. Do a "save as" at this point and select .jpg, and save it to your working folder. Do your resize again to your needs, and do a "save". You can now print it, in color, and see your tracings to transfer by hand to your wood.

The other option, and what works for me, is if you have the original setting on Photoshop and a higher level of Photo elements, When you created your new raster level, your should have seen the original layer and the new layer shown as small thumbnails to the right side of the screen. While you are tracing the new level should be highlighted (make sure or your lines wont show up!) when you are done, click on the the original photo's thumbnail to select it (your lines will disappear for a minute), right click on it and delete it (Your lines, minus the photo, will re-appear). This will leave your tracing all alone. Do a "save as" and save it in your working folder as a .jpg. After it saves resize it to your needs, writing down what it turns out to be (remember to check a couple of times to make sure the tracing is what you want as far as resolution and size). Click save.

Now, open your original photo and do a "save as" and make it a .jpg in your working folder (change it's name, like adding a 1 behind original's name to say both versions). Then do a resize on it to match your tracing (why, so they can be printed and over layed to look at colors and such). Why this way, you can make multiple print outs of your tracings and cut them up, and glue to wood or the painter's tape on your wood.

I hope this helps.
wolfzaz
Happy Jack, Az
wolfzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Intarsia Moderator

or...you can get pattern wizzard!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #5

Thank you Jack for writing all that out. I could not find any mention of "raster" in any drop down area.
I was under the impession that I could do this using the " find edges" gizzmo.
Anyway I will add a couple of pictures of what I am trying to do. This is copyright protected and I do have permission from the artist and owner to make a wood copy of this art.
If anybody can help, please do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good logo,me photo 004.jpg (61.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg good logo,me photo 008.jpg (66.9 KB, 68 views)

Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #6

Hi

Here are some links and pdf docs that you can use to assist you in understanding the 'Pen' tool concept a bit better.

The program i use is Adobe Photoshop CS 8. This program has a Pen tool that has a 'Magnit' option. If this option is selected, as you move your mouse cursor over the contours of your image, the Pen traces around it.

When you have gone full-circle and click on the first 'Node' that the pen tool created an 'object' is formed and a corresponding 'Layer'.

Adobe URL
-----------
Adobe Photoshop Pen Tool Tutorial - Adobe Photoshop Other - Adobe Photoshop Software

Small PDF Doc
--------------
(attached)

Video clip
---------
YouTube - Outline a figure in Photoshop using the Pen tool

whew... lots of reading.

Good Luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ps7_cib09.pdf (2.47 MB, 12 views)
Fabfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #7

Ok Fabfella, I will try that.

Janette i went and googled your idea and found a different program that is easy to use and on a simple picture would work well with 2 clicks from photo to line rdawing. It is by

"Pixillion" and the program is "Photo to Sketch"

Its free and once I figured out how to down load it is very simple to use. That translates to I can use it....

Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #8

Thank all of you for this great information.
I love being able to glean from your knowledge.
Emmitt
Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette View Post
or...you can get pattern wizzard!
Well, yes, that is an option, but it only has one function and not nearly the flexibilities of main stream programs, although the cost is much less. I like to change colors to try what different woods wood look like. Just my personal preference.

Rock on (or wood on?)
wolfzaz
wolfzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #10

I have given up. I have tried so many fifferent programs and downloaded a ton of instructions on how to use those programs, and am going back to a pen and paper. A month wasted...