Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/)
-   General Scroll Saw (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/general-scroll-saw/)
-   -   excaliber scroll saw (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/general-scroll-saw/47478.htm)

Papa Jim 12-12-2012 04:09 PM

excaliber scroll saw

would like to here from anyone who has a ex-21 saw, and how they like it. I now have a dewalt and there are a couple of reasons i want to switch, mostly how it tilts for angle cutting.
Papa Jim

Jan 12-12-2012 04:43 PM

I've had my EX-21 for about 3.5 years and absolutely love it. It is as close to vibration free as a scroll saw can be. I've had no problems with it in the time I've had it. Now, having said that, let me tell you a story about learning a hard lesson:

I was given an EX-21 as a gift 4 years ago. We purchased it from Woodcraft and, for the first month I had minimal problems with it and was happy. Then the saw started knocking loudly. When I called Woodcraft for help, they told me they would not handle the warranty problems, I had to go somewhere else for that. Fortunately for me, they gave me the name of Ray Seymore who is the owner and Pres. of SEYCO. Ray spent a lot of time on the phone talking me through repairs and adjustments. After a couple of months of this, Ray offered to replace the saw. I dragged my heels because I had orders to complete. I finally gave up, called him, and he did me the favor of replacing the saw. The one he sent was perfectly set up and has performed flawlessly for the 3.5 years I've had it. I can't say enough about Ray's customer service and integrity.

As for the way the saw tilts, it makes perfect sense to me and it works very well.
It's one of the reasons I bought the EX-21 and the one feature I have yet to use.

Jan

tgiro 12-12-2012 05:11 PM

I had used them in Judy Gale Roberts classes for four visits. When I went to Dallas to see my oldest boy, I stopped in to see Ray and gave him 20 minutes to talk me out of one - he couldn't do it and I walked away with a brand new one.

Since I bought it there and he didn't have to pay for the "Free Shipping" he was currently offering, he threw in a magnifier lamp with the foot switch that he normally puts in.

I have used it since the first of the year and it is wonderful. Ray may be more expensive than some of the other dealers, but what you get in service is well worth the price. Ray adjusts & sets up the saws before he ships them to you. Than only adjustments I had to make were the ones I screwed up while playing with it.

I have heard many stories like Jan's. Someone bought a saw somewhere else, had problems, and Ray bailed them out. If you do get an Ex - get it from Ray.

Even General International sends folks to Ray for help.

hotshot 12-12-2012 10:23 PM

The tilting head is awesome. I was really astonished at how smooth and quiet the saw is. My wife says it sounds/feels like a sewing machine. The machine is heavy and solid.

I agree with the "go with Seyco" advice.

-----Randy

Janette 12-12-2012 10:47 PM

It's a great saw and I'd never go back to the DeWalt. Do buy it from Ray tho - rather than Woodcraft. He knows them inside and out.

Phil J 12-12-2012 11:45 PM

I agree 100% with all these comments!

Phil J.

wood-n-things 12-13-2012 01:48 AM

Me too ditto!

HAMMER 12-14-2012 11:39 AM

Anyone here have comments on the 30"? Thats what I am considering gettng for the extra throat depth..... I am already sold on the excalibur itself.

Terry Jay 12-14-2012 09:03 PM

Ok, you're sold, but I will note that bowl making is a whole lot easier on the EX than the DeWalt. Tilting the blade keeps gravity out of the list of error inducing stuff. Also, The DeWalt can be taught to keep the arm up, but the EX does it better and higher, so thickness of material is no issue. The tension on the EX is an over-center device with the same tension on every set-up, the DeWalt is an inclined plane so you have choices of how high to set the tension. I have and use them both.

Janette 12-14-2012 09:54 PM

I have the EX30. I do like having the extra depth in the throat - especially for larger intarsia backers. If you do a lot of intricate fret work using smaller sizes (ie 11 x14 or so) you may prefer the 21 simply because the arm on the 30 is heavy to lift for threading holes. It does have the ability to adjust to stay up on it's own, but you still need to pull it down. I don't do a lot of fret type work, but from the little I've done - without tightening the upper arm to stay up - the arm is heavy. Other than that, I've got no complaints.