Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Donjor
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #1

Default Mastercraft Maximum 16-in. Scroll Saw

Hey everyone.

So Canadian Tire put their Mastercraft Maximum 16-in. Scroll Saw on sale today for $89.99 (down from $229.99). I am really considering picking up this saw as my starter saw. I realize its a budget saw but I really can't justify spending a lot of money on this just yet.

I was wondering if anyone has this saw, or at least used it in the past. I read the reviews on the website and it gets a 3.6 out of 5. I think it has either a 3 or 5 year warranty with it. This would be more of a test saw to see if I can make some money with it and to get away from the very old saw I am currently using.

Thoughts, concerns, comments and opinions are very welcome here. Help me decide..

Link to the Saw

Last edited by Dave J; 06-22-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added Link
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

Dave

If possible try and see if you can "test drive" the saw. Some of the starter saws might be worse than the saw your using now. If you enjoy scrolling then it might be better to just keep saving for a better saw. A lot of the reviews mention bad vibration which usually is not a good sign when it comes to a scroll saw.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

Just another note:

This saw is a rather big upgrade for me. The saw I am using currently does not have Variable speed, a dust blower, or a light. It cannot take plane blades (pinned only). There is a lot of blade movement front to back and it only has a 13"throat. I have attached so pictures of the saw I am using now along with the blades I am using.

Maybe I should have done this in the first post but the upgrades for me would be,

Variable Speed
Dust collection
Dust Blower
Light
Plane Blades
larger throat
Quick tension lever

Evilbadger, Thanks for the reply. I have tested this saw and the vibration is less then the one I have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0661.jpg (76.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0662.jpg (67.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0665.jpg (84.1 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Dave J; 06-22-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #4

Dave

Since you have tested the saw already and it does give you some nice upgrades as long as you were comfortable with the way it felt then I would say go for it. For the price it sure is hard to pass up and as long as you are happy what we think really does not matter.
Tools are always a personal preference thing but as long as it fits your budget and you are comfortable with the tool those are the major factors.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote