Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
Dusty_Wood

Default Old Scroll Saw Fretwork Patterns

If anyone is interested in old scrollsaw patterns, 1920's, I am selling some on Ebay. Search for Scroll Saw Pattern or Fretwork Pattern.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2002, 09:19 PM   #2

Default Re: Old Scroll Saw Fretwork Patterns

ok...I am new at this art. I would appreciate it if you could explain what fretwork is all about...Is it difficult?
I am fasinated with the different questions that people have had. I heard through a bunch of them...
Thanks, kat
Old 08-12-2002, 08:58 PM   #3

I guess fretwork is associated with the patterns that require inside cuts to produce the pattern verses scroll work which does not require drilling holes to perform inside cuts. Think of fretwork like lace. The patterns I am selling are victorian type work. They consist of shevles, plant stands, boxes, mirrors, picture frames etc.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:27 PM   #4
Captain_Bandaid

??? Dusty, I am not an accomplished scroll sawyer but I have seen a lot of patterns for scroll saw that require drilling holes. I always thought that fret saws were the manual version of the scroll saw. I would like to get the opinions of those who do scroll saw/fret saw work to clear this up, though.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:34 PM   #5

Capt'n,

Fretwork is the term used to describe the cuts out of the center of the work thus leaving a border around the design. fret saws are the same as coping saws with a deeper frame so you can reach deeper toward the center of the work. Scroll saws apre simply saws with a very thin blade for cutting intricate work. I believe the term used to apply to hand powered saws of this type as well. I have read European woodworking articles and they seem to commonly refer to 'fretting' whereas over here we seem to refer to everything as scrolling. Least ways that's my understanding of it. :

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 02:06 PM   #6
mdallensr

Fret vs. scroll vs. band saw...? I use my scroll saw for all blind holes that require drilling a starting hole, such as love spoons and decorative panels (pierced relief). I band saw the outer edges of these blanks because it's faster and the control and finish is good enough. I've used my scroll saw to go back and clean up some open areas, but only because it's more convenient than my band saw. Fret work seems to be a type of work, not a process, so you could do fret work with a scroll saw, a laser, a coping saw or even a spiral saw. There's a lot of 'scroll saw' work and patterns that have no blind holes that require a scroll or coping saw.