Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Donjor
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Unhappy Work Table Surface Friction

Hello All,
Just arrived from the Welcome page.

Excalibur Ex-30
As mentioned, I own an Excalibur Ex-30, since the beginning of this year. Great machine in lots of ways, but a real big problem has developed. If you want to skip the detail (I have been known to waffle on), please jump to The Crux of the Matter, below.

Development of The Problem
So, when I got the saw, the table surface was finished in some kind of resin. It was, however, rough, so I sanded it down with P240, and then it was fine. I think this was the only stage when the friction between the wood and the work surface around the blade was acceptable.

So, over time, the resin coating wore away completely from the area around the blade, leaving bare smooth steel. The friction of wood (mainly 4mm birch plywood) against this was out of all proportion. So, I have tried two kinds of beeswax on the back of the wood (one was really sticky, the other might be ok, but I don't realy want to put beeswax on the back of all my work), epoxy varnish, nail varnish with Teflon, self-adhesive Teflon sheet (thin, brown, transparent, flexible, with fibreglass within), polypropylene "plate", candle wax, paraffin wax, and one type of car wax. None of these really work.

Also, my work was catching in the vent holes for the dust-suction tube, so I filled them in with a Pattex filler/repairer (and sanded them smooth).

Now, really the friction is comparable almost to breaking an egg with a sledgehammer. It makes my work jerky, it strains my arms enough to inflame the tendons in my elbows, and strains my nerves along with it! I wasn't expecting this problem, and it's come at a rather inconvenient moment, as I need to get this work flowing for my livelihood - if I can get this one solved then everything else is in place so it should all flow just right. So I'm a bit desperate!

The Crux of The Matter
I did have a search though old threads for the answer, but actually couldn't find it.... Can anybody tell me anything about reducing friction between wood and the work table surface? One other thing I did find out about was Bostik TopCote, but it doesn't seem to be available in Europe. I am convinced there must be a simple solution to this. Yes, I believe I am desperate!

Thanks already in advance.
CzechEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #2

Use a piece of formica on your table top and hold it down to the table with double sided tape. Trim the formica in the shape of the table. Never put anything on your work piece. I have done this for over 10 years and the top on my saw is the second one and that is because I bought an Excalibur 1 1/2 year ago and had to make one for that saw. They last forever.

Bob

Last edited by bhenr99; 03-19-2011 at 02:24 PM.
bhenr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Staying Positive

Use a non silicon paste furniture wax on your table top here in the US we use Johnsons paste wax. Wipe on buff it out. It will be smooth as glass and won't clog/block your dust vent holes.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Like Mike says, paste wax. That is all I have ever used on all my saw tables. Don't use car wax as it contains silicone. I apply it every couple months, keeps the table smooth as a babie's butt.

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.
Mick Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #5

Thanks Bob and Mike and Mick.

I'm already pursuing the Formica idea (here they call it "umakart"), and it doesn't look like I can get hold of actual Johnson Paste Wax in Europe

Does anyone specifically recommend a paste wax for this purpose that is available in Europe?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for any advice and help.

Karsten.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

Is this Liberon Bison Paste Wax Neutral 500ml : Tooled-Up.com the same as Johnson Paste Wax?
I nurture a hope that I can order it where I am.

Karsten.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Hi Karsten and welcome to the forum.Any furniture wax free of silicone will suffice do not use car wax. Briwax is one brand that is suitable for use,Liberon is another.

Never argue with a fool, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #8

Thanks Harry,
I think I can get hold of something here now before I lose hold on my senses.

"Ciranova" seems to be available locally. I had a bit of this before - I think it might do the trick.

Karsten.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #9

CzechEX, did you buy your saw from Axminster? This is the first I've heard of anyone using one of their saws with the dust collection that saw offers. Sounds like the dust collection mechansim was not a good thing for you. Interesting . . .

-----Randy
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

Hello Randy,

I don't really know why anyone would prefer that dust collection system. When I saw it I thought to myself "the wood will catch in those holes" - sure enough it did.

Yes, I got it from Axminster UK because that was the closest supplier.

And the tube for the vacuum is so huge, I should think that if you switch it on, the suction force itself will almost stop the wood from moving!

Aside from that, I have had some developments. Be back soon with them. Now it's 1am across the pond.
(snoring smiley)

Karsten.