Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Default porter cable saw (newbie)

This is my first post. I bought a new porter cable saw about a month ago. I wasn't sure if I would like scrolling so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Now I am hooked and am in the middle of my first paying job. Well at first the new saw was doing a pretty decent job but now it runs like crap. The bottom of the blade jumps left to right and it doesn't run at a consistent speed. Has anyone else had problems with these power cables?? They have a money back guarantee and I'm seriously thinking about takin it back and buying and excalibur. Any suggestions??
chevy76667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Is this the CW40 Hitachi clone from Lowes ?

A decent tool, have you tried any maintainence ?
Wouldn't hurt to see if any screws are lose, the side pops off easily, and the guts of the machine are very accessible.
Alot of folks are unhappy with excalibur because they don't have dust collection ports, alot of folks are having problems with Dewalts.
Any saw you get has the potential for problems ,, You might have a flawed unit, or it might have a slight problem that is simple to fix, difficult to tell over the internet.
The bottom of the blade obviously should not be hopping around, that points to a blade holder defect, that maybe be as easy to remedy as tightening a screw, or you might need a replacement, which should be provided free of charge, and very simple to install.

Lowes seems to be selling the yellow Dewalts now, $567.95.
I thought these were discontinued.
Shop DEWALT 1.3-Amp Variable Speed Scroll Saw at Lowes.com
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

I have the same saw Chevy and really like it.
Remove the left plastic side cover and check the blade holder to see if it is just a screw loose.
If it is more than that and you purchased it at Lowes, then take it back and get another one.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
Desert Woodcrafters woodworking club
Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.
stephenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #4

If your thinking of moving up, this might be your ticket to recoup your original investment and put it towards a higher end saw. I have both the PCB370ss and the EX and believe when when I say there is a world of difference between the two saws. If you don't have the money for the EX, then get a replacement at Lowes.

----Randy
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

I have had the Porter-Cable saw for about two months now. Still working great and no trouble. But I have nothing to compare it with as this is the only saw I have ever used. No other scrollers in my area either.
Yooper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

welcome to the forum
Daddy's scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #7

Hi, I've had both the Hitachi and the Porter Cable. I had to take the Hitachi back and got the Porter Cable. The Porter Cable sounded like a bucket of bolts after a few weeks use. I took it back and got my money back and bought the EX-16 from Ray at Seyco. I won't go back to the cheaper saws now. I'm extremely happy with the EX-16. The only thing I would change is the dust collection. The EX-16 doesn't have one.

Charles
Ghornet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

Ghornet54, I have to agree with you on the dust collection. General has such a system (at least for the EX21), they just elect not to sell it on this side of the pond. I'm hoping they will listen to their customers and add it on. Looks like the cost would be nominal.

As far as dust collection on the Porter Cable, many users take off the side panel for better access enabling easier blade changes, which pretty well negates the dust collection functionality.

--------Randy

Last edited by hotshot; 01-31-2011 at 07:22 PM.
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Ghornet54, I am leaning toward the EX-16. My porter cable sounds awful too. Thanks for the info.
chevy76667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #10

We are really getting limited in our options for scroll saws here.. B&D has rather poor customer service, Dewalt & Porter Cable build quality is going downhill, B&D has now sold Delta so who knows what's going to happen there.

B&D really seems to be doing their best to destroy as many brand names as possible.
Keith Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote