Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
3_M

Default Mr Patrick Spielman

This message is being sent to inform you about the unexpected death of
Patrick Spielman. This is a sad day for everyone in the scroll saw
community. Pat is responsible for the resurgence in interest in scroll
sawing that began in the early 80's, and has long been a mentor and good
friend to a great many of us in the industry. His books have taught many
people how to use the scroll saw, and have provided us with countless
scroll saw patterns and projects to test our skills. He will be sadly
missed.
Mr. Spielman started the 'Home Workshop' what is now 'Scroll Saw Workshop'
For more information contact:
The Art Factory
PO Box 701
Platteville WI 53818

Home of the FD Blades
3_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
Hi_Ho_Sliver

Default Re: Mr Patrick Spielman

:-/ :-[
Old 10-31-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
3_M

Patrick E. 'Mr. Pat' Spielman died suddenly Wednesday, Oct. 27 at his home in Fish Creek as the result of an apparent heart attack. He was born March 17, 1936, in Spring Lake Township, Minn. to Andrew M. and Della Jean (Ince) Spielman. Patrick graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stout in 1958 with a Bachelors degree in Industrial Arts. He was married to Patricia 'Mrs. Pat' Rogers June 7, 1958. He spent 27 years as a high school woodworking instructor, 23 of them at Gibraltar High School. Through use of hands-on techniques he inspired his students to create innovative and practical projects. Motivating his students to apply themselves and develop their talents was his passion, and he leaves behind hundreds of dedicated students as part of his legacy. Patrick was a world-renowned author of over 65 woodworking books with special editions published in several languages. He began working on his first book at the age of 24, and continued authoring books, including two current projects, over the span of his 46 year career. In addition to his success as an entrepreneur, he was a sought after process and design consultant to woodworking equipment manufacturers, and a respected spokesperson for innovative and quality industry products. His entrepreneurial ventures were a result of his innovative spirit and creative mind. Patrick, along with wife Patricia, began a business out of his workshop in 1974 with his own hand-crafted products, turnings, signs and cedar lawn furniture. The business grew to include consignment and manufactured products and moved to its current location in downtown Fish Creek in 1982. In March of 2003, Patrick was honored with the James Huff Stout Award. The honor is given to a distinguished alumnus for their work in enhancing the prestige of UW-Stout and enriching the lives of those touched by their work.

Pat is survived by his beloved wife, Patricia; son, Robert (Bonnie), Baileys
Harbor; daughter, Sherri (Luke) Valitchka, De Pere; daughter, Sandra
(Bernie) Friedenfels, Jacksonport; two grandchildren, Zoe Samantha-Ann
Valitchka; Sophia Marie Friedenfels, and a third grandchild expected in
November; and sister, Winnifred (Andrew) Schoenbauer.

He was preceded in death by his parents; his brothers Donald and Robert; and
step-father Nick Wolf.

Friends may call Monday, Nov. 1 from 3 to 8 p.m. at Casperson Funeral Home in Sister Bay. Funeral services will be held 10 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 2 at St. Paul's Catholic Church in Fish Creek with Pastor Michael Brecke officiating. Burial services will follow at Blossomburg Cemetery in Peninsula State Park, Fish Creek. Please join the family for a celebration luncheon at the Parkway Supper Club in Fish Creek at approximately 11:30 a.m.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made in honor of
Patrick Spielman. Donations may be mailed to: Patrick Spielman Memorial Fund, c/o Baylake Bank, Attn: Judy Smith, P.O. Box 46, Fish Creek, WI 54212.

Home of the FD Blades
3_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #4
Technical Editor

We at Fox Chapel Publishing send our deepest condolences to Patrick's wife, friends and family.

Bob Duncan
Fox Chapel Publishing
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Sparkplug

I also offer my condolences to the Speilman family. Patricks great work and patterns and books will live on and help others for countless years ahead.
Sparky
Sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #6

This guy did some very good books.That's how I started buying one of his books and now I collect them.This was sad to see he passed away after doing a Google search on him and to see what books he wrote.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
This guy did some very good books.That's how I started buying one of his books and now I collect them.This was sad to see he passed away after doing a Google search on him and to see what books he wrote.
Forester not sure you are aware you posted into a old thread. He passed almost 8 years ago.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

Yes I realised he died 8 years ago now.I was doing Google search and this popped up.I am collecting books by him and was looking for more titles via Google.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #9

Good stuff Forester. When I 1st got started into this hobby it was many of Patricks books and patterns that got me hooked on it. I actually met him one afternoon while we were up in Door County where he was living. We sat and talked for a good hour and for me it was a huge honor. I hope you have good luck in finding the publications you want. I do own most of his books and learned a lot from them. Too bad we had to lose him.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Rock 'n Scroller

I'm glad you revived this thread Forester. My first "real" pattern I did was one of Patricks patterns. I have several of his books and have cut many of his designs and enjoyed them all. As I wasn't on this forum back in 2004 I didn't realise that Patrick had passed away. The scrollsaw community lost a great friend and mentor that day.
Mick