Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #1

Default cursive writing in wood

I'm thinking there's someone out there that can tell me how to write a name in wood that has lower case (g or y )in it that is mounted on a board that would
sit on a desk. Like a name plate. I've cut a few out but they was all in a straight line. I'm I explaining myself good enough. Don
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Sawdust Maker

I think I understand your problem and hope I can help you with descending characters. I have attached a strip of pics I cropped from a door topper I did for a church meeting room that had three different types of decenders.

In the first frame "y" you can see I was able to cut completely around the descender since the body of the y was attached to the base. In the middle, you see the y again and the "f" where I could not completely cut the letter, but by using a #1 spiral blade, I gave the essence of the letter.

In the final section, the letter g has the center removed, but has a few small bridges to hold the character in place.

Hope this helps. (Type face was Calligrapher 421--a WordŽ basic font @ 300 pt)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg descenders.jpg (22.1 KB, 121 views)

"Music takes us places language alone can not"--Glenn Frey

Sawdust on the saw table looks like progress.
Jim McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

I have cut them where the y or g is raised to make the name flat on the bottom but it doesn't look right.I just raise the whole name so the y or g is below the bottom and to me it looks better.Tony
ncsealeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #4

Thanks Jim and Tony ; That will give me an idea which way to go. I forgot to say that I cut a 15 degree angle on the bottom of the board before I trace my letters. When I'm done the words will angle backward . Jim the last picture in the line of pictures might get me closer. I'll play with it and send a picture later Thanks again to the both of you. Catch you later Don
Old 01-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Default cursive in wood

Hey Jim and Tony; I've been playing with how to get a written name on a base that has a (g or j or y) in it , So far if I'm using 3/4 stock I'm cutting 1/2 down 1/2 back on the face of the base plate. Remember I cut a 15 degree on bottom of the board that I traced the name on. After I cut the name out, then I cut some of the back of the ( g or y ) off and it will sit down on the base much better. Does that make any sense? I must not have my computer set for my camera right . I guess I'll have to get my .son to show me how to use my computer . Then I'll send a picture Don