Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Old Eyes

Good morning,

I just purchased a copy of Corel Draw X3 from a friend who upgraded to X4, he is in the sign business and tries to keep up to date on software. Any way. I was wondering if I could change the color of the line drawings on the patterns with this program if I scan the pattern into it. It's getting harder to distinguish betwen the line and the saw blade. These was no directions with the software, and I don't find it very intuitive, my friend said to call him and he could walk me through and problems, but I'm not happy doing that and I can't seem to get this powerful program to do much.

Are there any good after market books for this software, I was looking for something in the "..... For DUMMIES" series, which would definetly fit the bill for me, but so far I have not found anybooks.

As always, thanka a bunch for the help!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick-H

There is not an easy way to do that in any program I am aware of. A scan is basicly a picture. Now imaging you have a picture of a red ball. You now want to change that to a blue ball. Very hard to do I think.
The thing you can do is to trace the scan in Corel, then go back and clean up the trace picture. That trace image is in vector format, and a vector image you can very easily change the line weight and color.
Maybe someone else has found an easy way to do it, but I have not had much luck changing anything but vector images. Vectors are drawn on the computer, they cannot be scanned into the computer.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
CharlieDearing

Steve Good uses it all the time so he is perfect to ask. Go to Scrollsaw Workshop I believe he even has "how to" videos on his site.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #4

I think most of the videos on coral draw he has posted YouTube I Know there are some on his blogspot that charlie gave the link for but I dont think all of them are. YouTube - sdgood's Channel
Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Jr_Ranger

If you installed the complete package Rick it should have installed corel paint. First make sure your pattern is in 24 bit color (Image convert to 24) if it is grayed out you are in 24 bit mode)

1. Open the image in draw. Right click the image with the pick tool and edit image. This will open paint.
2. From the brush flyout chose replace color brush tool.
3. change the brush size to 100 or 150 bigger is better here.
4. on the color squares on the left (below your tools) it shows fore and back ground colors (usually black and white)
5. The top square is foreground. Double click it and select a 50% gray.
6. Double click the 2nd color (background) and change it to red.
7. Brush over the pattern and all the 50% gray will change to red. Change the foreground again and make it 70% gray and paint over the pattern again. Continue doing this over the pattern till you have all the shades of gray painted red.

Because corel gives you several ways to do the same thing you can also use Effects, contour, edge detect If edge detect doesn't pick up enough of the pattern use find edges.

Go back to the paint brush flyout and select replace color tool. Change the foreground to 100% black and background to red or whatever color you like. Using the replace color brush, brush over the entire image and all the black will be the color you selected.

Neither is really pretty but it will get you what you want. To make is some what more pleasing to the eye. Go to effects, Blur and gaussian blur try about 1. print and see if that will work for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Jr_Ranger

If the pattern is a jpeg it would be a good idea to change it to black and white first. Get rid of the grays.
To do this go to image black and white. In the window that opens change the conversion method to line art. Using the threshold slider you can increase the grays to make it darker or lessen to reduce. Make sure preview is selected so you can see the changes. When you are happy with the results click ok. Now you need to change it back to 24 bit in order to use the red color as above. Holler if you need help with the steps.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Cabinet Maker

G'day Rick,
This may help you out.
Colour Pattern Lines (How to)

“In my acting, I have to identify with something in the character. The big tough boy on the side of right—that’s me. Simple themes. Save me from the nuances. All I do is sincerity, and I’ve been selling the hell out of that ever since I started.
John Wayne
Some of my Stuff
Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers Ass.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #8

That's a pretty good tutorial Sylvia. I just tried it and it works perfectly!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #9

Nice tutorial John!