Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > General Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber
General Scroll Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #1

Default Gluing cork to wood

What glue would work best to glue cork to the bottom of coasters? I was thinking spray glue. Any other suggestions? I am guessing they will just be used for display as they are part of my wedding order and she wanted 25 special coasters. There are no open cutouts, just the outline of Trinidad & St. Lucia. Thanks!!

Betty

P.S. I'm delivering these tomorrow. Nothing like waiting until the last minute! LOL

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Banned

Default Glue

Tightbond III should work as well. I have had great success with it.
Barefoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Technical Editor

Contact cement works as well. Our creative director covered one wall of his office with corkboard to hang covers up on (for books, magazines, etc.) He used contact cement. Apply the cement to both surfaces, allow it to dry, and then press them together. Just be careful! You only get one shot!

Contact cement sets up a lot faster than regular wood glue. I'd also be afraid of regular wood glue soaking onto the cork and making it a bit stiff.

Bob
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #4

Betty, I would use a glue that is waterproof.

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.
Mick Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #5

Betty,. thanks for asking this quistion. for i also was wondering how to glue cork to a surfis. thanks Bob. contack cement. got it. your friend Evie
minowevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #6

That's a good question. You would think any of the suggestions would work. What I don't understand is that every (commercial) coaster we have that has a cork bottom, the cork is coming loose. You would think companies would have figured out how to keep it on.

Earl
earlinjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #7

The coasters I made had alot of open cutouts, all I used was reguler super glue. I put a thin coat with a brush on the bottom side of the wood, then pressed them onto the sheet of cork, then trimmed the cork with a razor blade. Worked pretty good just make sure its a thin coat or it will soak through the cork.

King
USMC1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky788scroller

I once glued 1/8th inch thick cork to wood using regular titebond II , and as Bob said, it did get some real stiff spots where the glue was sucked up by the cork, but it did hold good.I was planning on using Aleens tacky glue, I think that stuff should be fine for it as well. Dale
lucky788scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #9

The glue should stand up to heat and moisture, so I'm not sure about wood glue, white glue, or contact cement. There's a superglue gel that's pretty versatile, not sure how it is with heat, however.

A couple of ideas that came to mind are silicone adhesives and also good old general-purpose 'cement'; you know, that old-fashioned stuff in the metal tube you want to keep away from in close quarters.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
Laying into Inlay

I made some fretted coasters awhile back, and the spray adhesive I used didn't work at all. It came loose rather quickly, (within a few hours), so I used Titebond II, applied to the wood, ( to prevent it from showing through the frets), and it has held up for about a year or so, so far. I made 16 coasters this way and I never had any problem with the cork getting stiff. I guess the trick is not to overload the glue, (I was careful not to put too much because I didn't want there to be any squeeze-out between the frets.

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
No task is too tedious for Art.
Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
Featherwood Woodcrafts
JimSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote