Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Fretwork and Portraits
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines
Fretwork and Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Pop

Default False Gear Clock

Here's one I did before the hands quit and I had forgot I had done. It's similar to one Sue Mey had done for the magazine (issue 28). I used poplar for the frame and painted it with wraught iron paint for texture. The Numerals and gears are walnut and use the IIII for the number 4 which brought up a discussion before. But after looking at all my old antique hardware and restoration catalogs seemed perfectly correct for the period I was trying to get. I had originally put black hands onthe clock but after finding the florescent ones I replaced them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg false gear clock.jpg (194.7 KB, 108 views)

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
Cabinet Maker

G'day pop,
You have created a very novel and interesting time piece there.

“In my acting, I have to identify with something in the character. The big tough boy on the side of right—that’s me. Simple themes. Save me from the nuances. All I do is sincerity, and I’ve been selling the hell out of that ever since I started.
John Wayne
Some of my Stuff
Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers Ass.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #3

That's pretty neat. A clock with gears, but they don't actually do anything. I bet it was easier than making the wooden gear clock. Mine still doesn't run right, but it does get a lot of compliments when people come to visit.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to angelduster1998

That was very well done..I really like that..You did a fantastic job on it..

http://tgaspard.blogspot.com/
angelduster1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Moderator CUT IT OUT

That is a very cool design. I like the false gears, I have never seen one like that before.
I wonder if a person could attach a false gear to the second hand to give an illusion of moving mechanisms
CanadianScroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #6

I like the false gears, too. Great job on the cutting!

I bet with a bit of tinkering you could attach a gear to the second hand. Use basswood, perhaps, so it wouldn't be too heavy for the mechanism to move. It'd be best if the gear were close to the other fake gears, which could be problematic if the rod that turns the second hand is on the inside. But I bet you rig something.

Good job!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560
Kevin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
Pop

Funny you should mention gears on the clock hands... I had ordered some hands form Klockit that were actually made with the centers as gears but they were too small for the size I made the clock. They would have been more for a clock with a face of about 3-4" only. This one is 8". Really neat though. Along with the hour and minute hands that were based on gears was a second hand that was zig-zaged like it was bent.

I get the less expensive battery movements and they don't have enough torque to handle any attachments to the hands (I've tried). They even loose time if I put an over sized sweep second hand on them. Klockit does sell a better version of the movement that's supposed to have more torque to handle l-o-n-g-e-r hands. It's only a couple bucks more.

They have hands that resemble fishing rods (Yo Trout here ya go!), pencils and pens, and forks and knives for a kitchen clock. Thanks for the comments...

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Last edited by Pop; 01-16-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
MrsTrout's Husband

Default very nice clock Pop's...

fishing poles for the clock hands, that gave me a visson of a clock that looked pretty cool....at least in my mind it did....

Trout
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Tor
Banned

Nice clock there, even if the gears are only for the lookers.

Tor
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Pop

Default Clock hands - fishing, pencils - gears

Here's a picture of those clock hands I mentioned. They range in size from 3" (pencils) to 4-3/4 (tools) to fishing rods (4-1/4). The gear hands are pretty small like I said...1/3/8 from center of hour hand. Still neat though. See if they get your creative minds going. You can get them from Klockit. They run about $.70/pair without sweep second hand. Gear hands were only on the website. I didn't see them in the catalog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theme clock hands.jpg (157.5 KB, 10 views)