Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Fretwork and Portraits
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber
Fretwork and Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #1

Default selling fretwork / making patterns

Hello, I have done quite a lot of fretwork pieces this year and have given them away for gifts or kept them for myself. Well, now that people have seen my work they would like me to make some for them.I have a good idea what i would charge but here is the potential problem, everything that i make comes from an assortment of pattern books. I have made a lot of projects from Speilmans and Nelsons books etc.... Can i legally sell these creations if they come from someone elses pattern. I know that I can't sell the patterns but what about the finished product? Also, how do people make their own patterns? Do they use purely software or draw everything by hand? I just want to do things the right way.Thanks, JB
fretman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Moderator CUT IT OUT

Check the copyright statement in the book. Most will allow you to sell some of the projects you make. Many use the copyright to protect the patterns themselves.
There is the odd pattern supplier that does claim copyright on the finished product too but I am not sure how this stands up in court.

As for patterns, both techniques are used.
Sometimes I sketch my ideas in pencil and other times I go straight to the PC.

There are some good software programs that can help make patterns but most experienced pattern makers soon realize there is more to making a good pattern than just turning on the computer and feeding a picture in.

I think most pattern makers really do enjoy the tinkering and tweaking knowing they are producing something others will use.
CanadianScroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #3

Thanks Canadian scroller . Any particular software programs recommended? JB
fretman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick-H

Also, how do people make their own patterns? Do they use purely software or draw everything by hand?

In talking to Nelson and Boelman I think both draw all of their patterns by hand on a drafting board. Neither one uses a computer to help with drawing patterns.
I have drawn over 2000 old victorian fretwork patterns but I use Corel Draw 9 to draw my patterns.
So either way can be considered a method for drawing patterns. It is just whichever way you can do it.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #5

a few years back after buying a Speilman Book I e-mailed them with the same question and they said I could sell the finished project, not the pattern and it would be nice but not necessary to give the designer credit.

Irish
irish is offline   Reply With Quote