Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/)
-   Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/bowls-boxes-compound-and-other-3-d-projects/)
-   -   Ripple Vase (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/bowls-boxes-compound-and-other-3-d-projects/53672.htm)

Fay P 05-18-2014 06:37 PM

Ripple Vase

1 Attachment(s)
This is another one of Carole's patterns that is in her book on wooden bowls. It's not perfect but then I had some fun making this vase. Some of the angles weren't right but I was able to save the vase. I sanded and it was a good thing the sun was shining as I could see how thin the wood was getting...I'm going to have to get some of those neat little flexi pad sanders and see if my sanding would be better. All in all I'm happy with this vase and it's only the second vase I have made. When I got to sawing at the 45 degree angle, I was shaking when I got that part done as that was a steepest angle I had ever cut. The neck opening I did a little bit different but I did get a nice vase made. Enjoy Fay Oh yes. the wood is poplar and scrap poplar left over from the Noah's Ark project....

DWSudekum 05-18-2014 07:31 PM

Fay that is looking great. Thanks for sharing this with us. Cutting at angles takes practice.

DW

Fay P 05-18-2014 07:39 PM

It sure does and drilling at angles also takes a lot of practice. I found if I make my drilling angle guides with 1/2" wood instead of the 3/4" then I can get the drill bit to work better for my drilling. But I will need to get a smaller bit as some times there are drill bit marks on the sides and those are hard to get out. I usually fill them in and let them dry before I do any sanding but this time I didn't really have any problems since I have been making my angle guides out of thinner woods. Fay

Ghornet54 05-18-2014 08:16 PM

Good job Fay. I also like Carole's book and use it often. Haven't made that vase yet, but I will soon! Just made her coffee cup from her boxes book. What a challenge! Made some mistakes, but my wife still likes it.

Charles

Fay P 05-18-2014 10:10 PM

I want to make that coffee cup too and I have the wood. I have some sort of a white wood that I ordered from Ocooch and I thought it was a dark wood that I ordered. so that white wood should look great on a coffee cup and for the whisp of steam. Going to read up on it tonight. She has some beautiful patterns in her books. Some seem a bit challenging but it's all worth a try and who know?? I might be able to make some of those items in the book. I have made the cup cake one but at the time I did not have any forstner bits and now I have a set of them so they will come in handy for these cute little boxes. My cup cake box turned into and ice cream cone.. LOL! But the angle wasn't right but it was fun and looked so mouth watering that I had to have ice cream! Trying to keep the weight off too. Now talking about ice cream I want some right now!!!! Shoot it never ends... Fay