Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/)
-   Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/bowls-boxes-compound-and-other-3-d-projects/)
-   -   Poplar Bowl (http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/bowls-boxes-compound-and-other-3-d-projects/53611.htm)

Baldrick 05-09-2014 12:58 PM

Poplar Bowl

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I thought for my first post that I would share a bowl made using a modified version of the first pattern in Carol Rothman's book. It is made from four, 4" x 4" pieces cut from a single 1/2" poplar board that I bought at Lowe's. The glue lines are more or less intentional because I wanted add a "geometric" feel to the bowl.

Anyway, this is my second bowl and my attempt to do something creative with plain old poplar. Please let me you what you think.

DWSudekum 05-09-2014 01:17 PM

Very nicely done. One of the things about making bowls, at least for me, is that once you have the concept down you will be able to design all kinds of different variations to them. Great job on the bowl and the whole project. Looking forward to seeing your next creation

DW

handibunny 05-10-2014 07:55 PM

Very nice job! Certainly gets a lot of mileage out of "plain old poplar"!

Looking forward to seeing more of your creations. :)

sherweld 05-11-2014 02:01 PM

Very nice.
I like the way you have given the base some reveal, as well as the overall use of the wood "colors".
Well done ......

Baldrick 05-12-2014 06:02 PM

Thanks for the kind words all.

Its hard to find a piece of poplar without the green streaks, so I thought I would do something with it. Now I am kind of looking for a piece with a big enough green streak to make an entirely green bowl.

My next creation is likely going to be a bubinga/walnut vase. If it turns out well, I will definitely post pics.

ray hampton 05-12-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldrick (Post 485265)
Thanks for the kind words all.

Its hard to find a piece of poplar without the green streaks, so I thought I would do something with it. Now I am kind of looking for a piece with a big enough green streak to make an entirely green bowl.

My next creation is likely going to be a bubinga/walnut vase. If it turns out well, I will definitely post pics.

making a green bowl may involve the purchase of a sawmill since you will be cutting the green out of a number of planks
and we want to see pictures even if something [woodwork]turn out bad ,we may not agree with you if we see the pictures

Fay P 05-12-2014 09:46 PM

Very nice bowl! I working on a vase using that same pattern. My angles are coming up pretty nice and it looks like I will have a nice vase. Will post when I get it done and it was a good idea how you glued up those smaller pieces I have 2 nice small pieces of poplar and I can cut 2 of the pine and try that same type of thing. Well going to watch Hotel Impossible in a few minutes so I best get going Fay

Sandy Oaks 05-13-2014 11:25 AM

Very nice bowl. Sure looks great.

Hawaiilad 05-14-2014 08:18 PM

Very nice bowl...I like working with Poplar. Been making Grandkids toys of late and poplar is much easier to work with than pine. Welcome to the Forum