Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Question New Bowl Concept

Believe it or not, the attached plan is for a bowl. It is drawn with five rings and a base. Based on the 3D model I made in CAD, a 28 degree table drop will work with rings of that thickness.

Anyway, I haven't tried cutting this yet mainly because I am trying to workout in my head how to make the interior cuts, specifically the cuts on the radial lines. The only way I can picture making the interior cuts is with spiral blades.

If anyone has a better idea for the interior cuts, I will be all ears. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Saw Bowl.pdf (8.8 KB, 137 views)
Baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldrick For This Useful Post:
Wood Dog (07-02-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

While you could cut it since you are working at an angle you will have a decreasing angle toward the middle of the bowl, as the rings get smaller the radius of the bottom cuts gets tighter and tighter. I think it might be a bugger to sand as well, if you could sand it it would look great. Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
cute and crafty

I'm trying to conceptualize the cutting, and while I'm not certain, I think that you'd have to go with spiral blades or you'll lose your cutting angle when you turn your work for the radial cuts with a conventional blade.

DW's caution is worth heeding. Try for a 3-ring bowl first before going further. The angled cuts create much tighter curves that you'd think. I've ruined several bowls before I smartened up.

If you do have success cutting the rings, please post pix, and also of how they stack. It's an intriguing project and I'm eager to see what happens.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice all. Regarding the number of rings, I actually was going to see how it went so I wasn't married to the idea of five rings. Anyway, as soon as the spiral blades that I ordered come in, I will give it a shot.

Its funny the things that inspire you. I was sketching out plans to make a three colored blank using my miter saw. When you put three pieces of wood cut with a 30 degree angle on the miter saw together to form a blank, you get something that looks like a three pointed version of that plan. The next thing that you know, I was sketching out versions of that plan using various types and numbers of right triangles.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

Well, I printed your pattern out and tomorrow I am going to cut it as a stack bowl if that's ok. Don't think I'll cut as many rings as it looks like something that will make me rather dizzy. Of course, my hubby says I'm dizzy anyway. Will post pics tomorrow night.

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
ichibob

This will be an interesting one - thanks again fopr sharing your concept.
ichibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Default Pictures!

Will,

I won't mind at all.

Attached are photos from the rings I cut last night using Flying Dutchman #5 spiral blades. A couple of lessons learned are three rings is probably optimal with this design and Carole's/Handibunny's method of using the first ring to make the pattern for the following ring would be best for this bowl.

Sanding this beast will be a challenge for sure, I am thinking of using a mop sander or gluing some sandpaper to a ruler. My other thought was to glue the bottom two rings for internal shaping and then gluing on the top ring.

I will happily take any sanding suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB #1.jpg (40.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg SB #2.jpg (28.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg SB #3.jpg (35.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #8

You know there is nothing magical about a bowl that it has to have a smooth inside. Depending upon use one might use a bowl shape like that as a planter holder. Or if one were to use thinner wood, say a 1/2 inch and cut the rings out vertically instead of an angle you could then stack the rings ( all of them ) rotating the rings one notch a ring that was glued. Lots of ideas come to mind Thanks for showing us this interesting WIP ( Work In Progress )

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #9

Thumbs up

DW,

I was considering doing some sanding to even out the faces and to sharpen up the corners and then gluing it up so the whole thing looked terraced. Hell its already a crazy shape why not push it that much further.

Really, I think the easiest way to get properly aligned sides is to use Carole's method of using the first ring to make the pattern for the next. If anyone tries to make a bowl using this pattern that would be my first piece of advice.

As I was typing this out, another idea stuck me (see photos). This may be the glue up. Thanks for getting my creative juices flowing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB #4.jpg (28.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg SB #5.jpg (33.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Baldrick; 06-18-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach pictures
Old 06-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
cute and crafty

Probably makes sense to make the most of the stepped sides, which certainly are attractive and interesting, rather than fighting them.

If you did want to try for a conventional bowl, there should be no reason why you couldn't trace the profiles from ring to ring and cut away the parts that don't line up. As it is, you'd be sanding forever to get things even. I often pre-sand rings to get a better match if they're off, and cutting takes off wood a lot faster than sanding!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote