Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fay P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Shell cutting help

I'm trying to cut a shell by Steve Garrison that was in the SSW issue 47.

Can someone tell me how to cut a 2x4 at a 20 degree angle with either a table saw or a planer? I'm stumped! I've tried cutting with the table saw, but kept getting the wrong angle. I think I can run it through the planer, but I need to use something to plane it on an angle.

Can someone give me some suggestions?

Charles
Old 06-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #2

Set your blade at 20 degrees and cut the wood lengthwise. It might help to make a jig to get the wood cut straight. Then you should have two pieces of wood cut at 20 degrees. Be sure to leave about 1.8th " at the edge of the wood. After you have cut the wood then you will need to cut the wood about 5" crossways so you will have 4 pieces of wood. Then mark the pieces from 1 to 4. Then what I did was measure my pieces at half so that would be 2 1/2' and draw a line down the middle. I got better cuts on my wedges this way. Then take a dime or a small washer and place it on the line in the middle and draw a half circle and then cut the wood with the scroll table set at 20 degrees and do the same on piece # 2 After that you will trace each half circle until you have larger wedges and then you can do the glue ups. A friend cut my wood for me as I don't have a table saw or a band saw. There is a video some where that will show you how to cut the wood. Good luck... Fay
ray hampton likes this.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Thanks Fay! I tried cutting it tonight and have it partially glued, but I think the board was too big at the bottom. I had the top around 1/8" and the bottom around 1 1/2", and it made the top rings "fat". I will see tomorrow how it goes.

Thanks again Fay.

Charles
Old 06-18-2014, 01:25 AM   #4

Your welcome, Just cut the wedges at the thin edge and then glue 2 at a time up and line them up like in the instructions that Steve Garrison has. It will be a lot easier to finish the inside of the shell and it will start looking like a shell once you get more wedges glued up. Just keep cutting the wedges as they will get larger as you go along. The wedges will be tiny at first but they will get larger and fatter as you go... Mine took 32 or 33 wedges to get a nice shell. Good luck on your shell and post a picture of it when you get it going. I'd like to see it. Most of all,, Have fun.. Fay