Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

Default Can I make a box with only a scroll?

I see so many gorgeous pictures of bandsaw boxes but I don't own a bandsaw. Can smaller pieces be crafted the same way with just a scroll saw? I would imagine the limitation is the cutting height, thus I would be making boxes for ... thimbles and belly button lint?

Does anyone here make "band"saw boxes on their scrollsaw? Any pictures of these miniature pieces are welcome.

Thank you all in advance,
-Andrew
Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Staying Positive

You are correct you are hindered by the height but you could cut several
pieces and glue them up for a taller box using pieces of contrasting wood in between the glue ups to make interesting effects. You are only limited by your imagination..

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior member...Sweeet

Mike is right, you are only limited by your imagination, and for ease, there is a band saw type box made with the scrollsaw in Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts magazine issue 35, pattern by Thomas Haapapuro. I have made this box on the scrollsaw without any problems. It stands 5" tall, you cut it on the horizontal.
Don't use it for belly button lint but if I look real hard may find a few dust balls in there.....
I keep it in my shop.

scrollsaw box 3 draws.jpg

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".

Last edited by Wood Dog; 06-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirston View Post
I see so many gorgeous pictures of bandsaw boxes but I don't own a bandsaw. Can smaller pieces be crafted the same way with just a scroll saw? I would imagine the limitation is the cutting height, thus I would be making boxes for ... thimbles and belly button lint?

Does anyone here make "band"saw boxes on their scrollsaw? Any pictures of these miniature pieces are welcome.

Thank you all in advance,
-Andrew
Anything that is made by a bandsaw can be crafted by a scroll saw as well as most things by a table saw and lathe. Do not get me wrong here the end products generally are not the same size as the ones that are created using the big machines. For instance since you are interested in boxes and chests of drawers and the like and you want to use a scroll saw to build it. This presents a challenge since most scroll saws have about a 2" thickness limit, however that is not a real big problem. Lets say that the box you wish to make is around 6 inches high and about 5 inches wide and about 4 inches wide. To do this on the scroll saw would require you ( the easiest way ) to have 5 layers of 3/4 inch wood and one layer of 1/4 inch wood. for a total thickness of 4 inches. Instead of cutting it out as one big piece of wood as you would with a bandsaw you cut out 5 - 3/4 inch thick layers and glue them together. The 1/4 inch layer would be used for the back panel. There are several places that you can get the patterns for doing these boxes, Steve Goods website is one of them.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

The short answer to your question is, yes. To find out more, I recommend you look at a book on box making by Carole Rothman. She's a master at creating wonderful and unique boxes with the scroll saw. She also is a member of the forum. Here's a link to her profile.

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - handibunny
Old 06-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
cute and crafty

Thanks, Bill, for the kind words.

Andrew, I use the "bandsaw box" method in unusual ways, primarily as a construction technique that disguises the typical look of a band saw box. However, you can miniaturize almost any band saw box by using some of the ideas in earlier posts on this thread.

For a good overview of the technique, check out Gary McKay's box book. His presentation of various techniques for scrolled boxes gives information that you can use to adapt projects from some of the lovely band saw box books, like those of Lois Ventura.

And there are always various articles in the scroll saw magazine that use this technique. Once you understand how it works, you have the tools to easily create your own designs.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #7

I make hundreds of boxes and all are only 2" deep. Useful at this size and sell well. I have made many scroll saw boxes. Here are photos of some I have made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plywood Scroll Saw Boot.jpg (51.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Box, Butterfly.jpg (19.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Box, flower.jpg (44.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Scroll Saw Boxes (Texas) 003.jpg (63.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Mickey Box.jpg (92.5 KB, 36 views)
15" Jet
Jim Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Thank you all for your time. Some great tips and ideas here.
Jim, are you able to create similar pieces with drawers or are they all open and or lidded like those posted?
Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #9

These are the only type I have made.
15" Jet
Jim Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

Thirston,

Here is a link to Steve Good's site with several scroll saw boxes. Scroll down to the bottom and you will find one with drawers.