Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Default Ripple Vase

This is another one of Carole's patterns that is in her book on wooden bowls. It's not perfect but then I had some fun making this vase. Some of the angles weren't right but I was able to save the vase. I sanded and it was a good thing the sun was shining as I could see how thin the wood was getting...I'm going to have to get some of those neat little flexi pad sanders and see if my sanding would be better. All in all I'm happy with this vase and it's only the second vase I have made. When I got to sawing at the 45 degree angle, I was shaking when I got that part done as that was a steepest angle I had ever cut. The neck opening I did a little bit different but I did get a nice vase made. Enjoy Fay Oh yes. the wood is poplar and scrap poplar left over from the Noah's Ark project....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ripple Vase (640x480).jpg (57.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

Fay that is looking great. Thanks for sharing this with us. Cutting at angles takes practice.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

It sure does and drilling at angles also takes a lot of practice. I found if I make my drilling angle guides with 1/2" wood instead of the 3/4" then I can get the drill bit to work better for my drilling. But I will need to get a smaller bit as some times there are drill bit marks on the sides and those are hard to get out. I usually fill them in and let them dry before I do any sanding but this time I didn't really have any problems since I have been making my angle guides out of thinner woods. Fay
Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #4

Good job Fay. I also like Carole's book and use it often. Haven't made that vase yet, but I will soon! Just made her coffee cup from her boxes book. What a challenge! Made some mistakes, but my wife still likes it.

Charles
Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

I want to make that coffee cup too and I have the wood. I have some sort of a white wood that I ordered from Ocooch and I thought it was a dark wood that I ordered. so that white wood should look great on a coffee cup and for the whisp of steam. Going to read up on it tonight. She has some beautiful patterns in her books. Some seem a bit challenging but it's all worth a try and who know?? I might be able to make some of those items in the book. I have made the cup cake one but at the time I did not have any forstner bits and now I have a set of them so they will come in handy for these cute little boxes. My cup cake box turned into and ice cream cone.. LOL! But the angle wasn't right but it was fun and looked so mouth watering that I had to have ice cream! Trying to keep the weight off too. Now talking about ice cream I want some right now!!!! Shoot it never ends... Fay