Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

Default Help a newbie

Hi everyone,

First post on this board and I have a question for all the experts out there. This was my first attempt at a bowl and I'm not sure what I did wrong here. The rings were approx. 3/4 of an inch and the angle was 25*. This is what I ended up with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (54.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (50.6 KB, 48 views)
north-bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #2

How wide were your rings? For the angle that you were working with ( 25 degrees ) your ring width should have been around 11/32 inch wide. If your rings were 3/8 of an inch wide then your angle that you needed was 26.5 degrees. If your rings were 1/2 inch wide then your angle that you needed was 33.7 degrees. If you made your rings 3/4 inch wide then your angle should have been 45 degrees. As you can see the wider the rings the more angle you would need in order for the rings to sit on top of each other with very little overlap. It looks like you need to take into account your ring width when you are setting your entry holes. Hope this helps a bit.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #3

Thanks DW, that makes alot of sense. I never took that into consideration. Its too bad I ruined the last of my redwood making this mistake. Oh well, guess that means that I need to keep working on it!

Cheers,
Todd
north-bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #4

It also depends on the size of the blades you use. for example the vase I made calls for a size 9 blade and the angle was to be a 28 degree, but I used a 7 blade so I dropped down an angle and it worked out great tho I did have a little bit of overlap on the sides and it still turned out nice. Good luck on the next one... Fay
Old 05-15-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
cute and crafty

Todd,

There is a fixed relationship between the thickness of the wood, the width of the ring, and the cutting angle if you want the rings to stack and form a bowl. It doesn't have to be done exactly, but you need to be pretty close or the rings will not line up.

To make things simple, go to ScrollMania! and look for the angle calculator on the left sidebar. Enter the ring width and the wood thickness and you will get the cutting angle. Round it up, if it's a fraction, and add an extra degree. Try it out with your wood (don't use good wood until you get things figured out) and if you need to make changes, do it one degree at a time in either direction. That will solve your problem, but you'll need to recalculate the angle if you change any of the factors, including your blade.

It doesn't have to line up exactly, but it should be pretty close. Don't worry--you'll get it figured out in no time!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:32 AM   #6

Todd there is no loss here. You learned a lesson we all have learned. We all make "mistakes" what you do with the knowledge is the key. For instance if you take what you have and make vertical risers from a contrasting wood making like a step riser, one step per ring and with a little imagination you can take your " ruined " wood and repurpose it for something just as nice as was intended.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior member...Sweeet

Welcome Todd. We all make mistakes, nobody is born with all the knowledge, but a smart person knows where to find the answers. You came to the right place.
Looking forward to your next, or fixed bowl. Thanks for sharing, you possibly have helped someone else.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

Welcome Todd....don't beat yourself up, we have all made mistakes...some worse, some better...heck, I still make silly mistakes and have been playing with wood since the 70's. You have the concept for cutting the rings which is great, and I know you will figure out the rest. Any questions you have, just ask away..there is always someone here that can be of help.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Author

I figure every pencil comes with a eraser. A pencil has about 5" of useful length and about 1/2" of eraser. It is intended that you will make a mistake once in a while. It keeps you humble.

Now I am gleaming this from other's experiences because I am never made a misteak in my life.

Dave
DaveVanEss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #10

I've never made a mistake either. Once I thought I did, but I was wrong.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." Ralph Waldo Emerson
koutsman is offline   Reply With Quote