Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Default Basic Bowl

Thank you Carole for the great instructions in your book. It was very easy to follow. In making my first bowl from the book, there were several things learned.

First, when looking at the stock, check the side and end grain. I thought this was a clear piece of Aspen, and when cut, there was a knot.

Second, I really need a spindle sander. Sanding with a flex sander gave uneven results as you can see with the top view.

Third, I really love the Excalibur EX21 for cutting the angles. Comments welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basic Bowl 042914.jpg (17.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Basic Bowl A 042914.jpg (18.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Basic Bowl B 042914.jpg (20.5 KB, 54 views)

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Perpetual Student

Location: Rouzerville, PA - about 20 miles southwest of Gettysburg PA

Denny

The knot gives it a character that makes it unique and interesting. You're lucky to have a knot that tight.

And I think you did an excellent first job. Heack of alot better than my 1st sanded bowl, which never left my shop.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

Thanks. This one left the shop and is in my display at ArtCrafters. But not for sale.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

Very nice Denny. I like when folks are able to use the woods natural grains and imperfections in a design. Thanks for sharing this bowl with us.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Lemons into lemonade ...... I may be in the minority, but my choice would be the one with a certain unique character such as this bowl.
Well done Denny, I really like the way you put it together

"You can observe a lot by just watching". Yogi Berra
sherweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #6

Well, thanks for the comments, DW and Ron, and I thought it was an imperfection rather than character.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #7

I agree with your comment about the spindle sander. I've done two of those bowls myself - one before I bought my spindle sander, and one after. Guess which one was better. But yours turned out great - better than mine. Good job!

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." Ralph Waldo Emerson
koutsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

I my view anyway, it's wood, wood has grain, wood has color, wood has some so called "imperfections".

I think in some projects, and utilizing certain materials, if thoughtfully done, spending a lot of time and wasting material trying to hide the so called "imperfections" can be somewhat counterproductive.
By incorporating those "flaws" as a part of the overall design can show the true nature of the material rather than trying to make it resemble something else, as well as showing a certain uniqueness.
But then that's just me.....

"You can observe a lot by just watching". Yogi Berra
sherweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
cute and crafty

Really nice job, Denny, and I do think that the knots add character to the bowl, especially when you align the grain nicely, as you did. When you cut wood at an angle, you may not be able to anticipate what you'll find inside, and sometimes the surprise is a good one.

Regarding the spindle sander, it's a mixed blessing. For straight sided bowls (those cut at a constant angle) it works wonders, especially when paired with a vertical belt sander for the outside. It's as close to perfection as anyone can get. However, you do need to keep checking the bottom of the lowest ring to be sure that you're leaving enough wood for gluing on the base.

The limitation is that if you ever want to make bowls with curved sides, where you increase the angle from ring to ring, you'll have to learn how to sand the inside freehand. That's where the round inflatable sander comes into play. It's about the only tool out there that is ideally suited to this, unless you want to construct your own, which has been done.

Looking forward to seeing your next bowl--but be warned that it can really be addictive!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #10

Thanks for the comments, especially from Carole. Again thanks for the book.

I tried sanding using the Flex Sander by Seyco with the results shown. With the flex sander, I have the cable and mini sanders. These should work fine on the multi angle bowls. I am looking at getting a Spindle Sander from Grizzly.

Carole, you are right about leaving enough wood on the lowest ring. I didn't, so I sanded 1/4" off the bottom ring to get enough wood surface.

The Eight Petal Bowl is all ready cut.

www.sandyoaksonline.com