Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Author

Default Key for my Hegner blade holder

I needed a new one and I wanted one fast so I went to a clock shop and got a clock key (americam #13). It is a loverly used thing and it was $10. I think from now on when we go into and antique store, juck store, or flee market, I will look for old clock keys seeing as I don't dseem to be able to keep track of them.

Dave
DaveVanEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #2

Dave,

Hegner replaced my original key under warranty when it failed. Then the replacement failed.

So I called them and they said they had redesigned the key and a new one would cost me $15 plus shipping. I had no options then so I PAID. But I thought it was really crappy for Hegner to charge me when they knew their original key design was a failure and had to be designed. Just one of the reasons I will NEVER EVER buy another Hegner again!!! You spend $1200 for a machine you think is the best quality and a cheapo key fails. And they have the nerve to charge $15 plus shipping. Talk about POOR customer service!! What are they thinking?

Good advice on the clock key alternative!!! Thanks for helping us!

Pickens Puzzles
bbofpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

I am curious. How did these keys fail? Split open? I have two, one from 1986 and one from 2008 and they work fine. I have turned them so hard that I broke the "tough Screw" in the clamp more than once but the keys still work for me.
15" Jet
Jim Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Author

Jim

In my case the ears come loose or I lose them.

bbofpp
Well now you do have a choice. You can use a #13 american of #11 swiss key. I just pickup this key from Ebay for $7.50 including shipping. I like having things in my shop older than me and it gets harder all the time.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key.JPG (66.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Good info on the clock keys. I will remember this if I loose one of mine. I hang mine on a nail in my wooden saw stand but things often "evaporate".
15" Jet
Jim Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #6

The ears failed.

bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
I am curious. How did these keys fail? Split open? I have two, one from 1986 and one from 2008 and they work fine. I have turned them so hard that I broke the "tough Screw" in the clamp more than once but the keys still work for me.

Pickens Puzzles
bbofpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Dave

Have you checked with any clock parts stores? I am guessing that it is the 5.0 mm size you need take a look at this Timesavers

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Author

5mm is a #11 swiss or #13 american. It sounds nicer than 5mm. I also am looking for older keys. The ones I got from Hegner had the ears fail. So I figure a clock key made 70 or 80 years ago would have to be pretty hardy to still be around.

It also gives me something to do when traveling. My wife askes me what am I going to buy as a sovenier when on vacation. I say a clock key. If gives me an excuse to stop at every little junque shop we see. Also hardware stores in older towns.

Dave
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #9

My hegner has cost me a total of less than $100 in repairs, including the key, in 10 years. That's $1 a year. And I still have 10 years left on my GERMAN made motor. That's like saying you won't buy a certain kind of car because a belt wore out. Seriously bbofpp?

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote