Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:43 AM   #1

Default Box Making Projects

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the publisher feedback section. If I made a mistake, feel free to move it.

My question is for anyone else who has this book or perhaps just the answer. I love the boxes in the book and have started making them. I do though have a question about the way 2 of the boxes are made. I love to learn new things, but I like to learn why I'm doing new things the way they are being done. (wow, that sentence is... confusing)

Anyway, the first question I had was, on page 38 (peaked top box) it shows how to cut the drawers from the pattern. Instead of putting the starting hole in the 'waste' section of drawer, it has it in the left side of each each of the 4 drawers. I can't understand why you would do this. (Its the type of box that you cut from 3 or 4 pieces of 3/4"& up. You cut the drawer pieces from each and then cut away the waste area of the drawer, then glue the pieces together, forming the drawer. You then glue the 3 or 4 pieces of 3/4" together to form the box). I realize this may be a minor thing, but its just something I would like to know.

The 2nd question is about the jewelry boxes on page 110. One of the things I love about boxes on the scroll saw is that you can make them without having to cut through the box like you would on a band saw. The only thing is, these boxes are all cut like they were on a band saw. None of them have starting holes. You go through the bottom and then in one fluid cut, you go up around each drawer (then glue the pieces of drawer together and then the pieces to form the box) This I don't understand at all. I've read through the directions and it doesn't say why your doing this way.

Sorry if the post is confusing, I hope I explained it right. Again, I love learning to do new things, but I like to know why your doing it this way. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
cute and crafty

Robs, I can help you out here, having learned a great deal from Gary's book when it first came out, which helped me, later on, to develop my own projects.

For your first question, the answer has to do with the space limitations that occur when projects are published--the more economically patterns can be drawn, the more projects can be included in the book. That box has only one pattern, which serves both for the internal components of the drawers and the decorative 1/4" thick front piece. There is no reason why you cannot drill your entry hole in the waste area for the internal components. I just checked a project in my own box book, which is loosely based on the band saw box method, and the entry hole is put in the waste area. For your project, the decorative front piece has no waste area, and you probably should drill the smallest hole you can directly on the cutting line to split the sanding area between the drawer front and the front of the box. The less sanding, the neater the drawer fit.

For your second question, unless I'm missing something, I cannot imagine why the method was changed, since the construction appears to lend itself to the same construction as he used earlier, using drilled entry holes. In addition, he appears to be making the cut across the grain, which is generally not advised, since the cut will show when you glue it up. Better to cut with the grain, then the cut will disappear when you glue it up. Why did he do it? Maybe to offer an alternative technique or some other reason. However, you are never locked into what an author recommends in a project.

Speaking as an author, sometimes it is only after a book or article is published that you realize that there is a better way to do something. This happens all the time, which is why there are revisions of important works. Or an approach may be a favorite with the author, but not the only or even best way to do something. I look back on some of my own published projects and know that I would do them differently now.

So the short answer is that if you have a better way to do something, go with it! You may then discover the reason for the original instructions, or find that you have, indeed, improved on them.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handibunny For This Useful Post:
robs (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Thank you so much Carole! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I thought that it would be possible to create the jewelry boxes without cutting through the bottom of the box, but wasn't sure. Since I'm still rather new to the scroll saw hobby/business I figured since the author knows a whole lot more than I do, I must have missed something to creating the boxes the way he has it laid out.
I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain the things that had me baffled. Like I said, I just like to understand why I am doing the things I'm doing. But I am going to be taking your advice for sure, to create the boxes the way I know how. They will either be good or suck. lol. Then I will know to at least try it his way.

Thanks again!
robs is offline   Reply With Quote