Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
cute and crafty

Default Here's why I asked about small heavy weights

Over the years, my forum friends have been invaluable in coming up with solutions to problems I ran into as I wrote my books and designed new projects for articles.

Recently I asked for recommendations for small, heavy weights, for a new project. I needed to be sure that what I chose would be easy to obtain and easy to use, since the last thing I want to do is create something that isn't fun to do, or doesn't come out the way it should.

From the various suggestions, I decided that, depending on availability, lead sinkers or shot, or BBs would be the best choices. When I discovered that BBs could not be shipped to NY, I switched to sling shot ammo, which is OK. Go figure that one out!

Here's a picture of one of the prototypes I developed to work out my final plans. The actual project will be a little more elaborate than this one--more interesting shape and more generous size, but everyone at the knitting shop where I brought my prototypes for testing and critiquing loved them, and asked if they were for sale.

If you haven't guessed, this is a yarn bowl. The bowl sits on the floor and the yarn feeds through the decorative slot. The extra holes are primarily for storing the needles safely between knitting sessions and keeping everything together. The weights went into the hollow base I created, which doubled the weight of the bowl. That added weight and additional width made the bowl very stable. The cut out area was scrolled, of course, with a little help from a 2/0 spiral blade. I used small sanders and carbide burrs in my Dremel to neaten things up, then did a lot of sanding to get things silky smooth.

I even knitted a small swatch so I could show you what the bowl looks like "in action". I'm excited about completing the actual project because I think it really shows off how much can be done with the scroll saw.

And thanks to everyone who answered my questions about weights, blades, and carving tools. Couldn't do it nearly as well without you guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yarn bowl prototype.jpg (42.4 KB, 87 views)

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

That turned out awesome.

It's all fun
Terry
Craftsman 18"
Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore
Terry Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

Very nicely done Carole. Thanks for sharing your solution with us.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

BB's are illegal but bigger, heavier slingshot ammo is okay? I do so love NY. Anyway, this bowl is fantastic Carole. I was watching some of your video's and you really are a great artist. Everything from your cakes to your bowls is sooooooo impressive. Thank you for sharing.
robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Puzzle Making Muggle

It looks spectacular, Carole! I never would have thought there were special bowls for that, but seeing your design, it makes all the sense in the world.

With the frigid winter we're having so far, that needle and yard would be well used to make an afghan or two.

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

Great stuff Carole!
I really enjoy clever "tools" of any and all descriptions, and more especially ones as elegant as yours. I will no doubt (if you don't mind of course) "steal" your design for my wife (a former knit shop owner and semi-avid knitter)
Well done indeed ...... thank you for creating and sharing.

"You can observe a lot by just watching". Yogi Berra
sherweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

I would assume that design will make it to one of the mags.
Very nice I will also need to make one for my sister' s bd. In March
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Showed wife the pic, I will need to make it too, when published.

It's curved when I want straight, and straight when I want curved.

DW-788, Delta Midi Lathe
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Looks gorgeous! The cut-out on the side adds a lot of interest as well as practicality. That concept looks really useful for general purpose ornamentation. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I assume it is shallow enough that the far side of the bowl didn't interfere with the blade?

--Rob
Arcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #10

Wow,,,, I saw some thing very similar for tatting thread and shuttles. There is a ball shaped plastic container that you can put on your wrist and tat and the ball of thread is in side the container. That bowl reminds me of it. I think Mom would like a bowl like that, but my bowls are not that good but one of these days they will be. Then I can make her some thing like that. I have a big container on one of the dressers in my room that has 6 spaces for yarn and there is a hole on top of each section for the yarn to come though and there is a space in the center for the needles. I use that for my tatting. Great job on that bowl! Have a great day... Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote