Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Default Bowl , box and a tray

I still have work to do on these but I couldn't wait to post the pictures. The shuttle box I decided I may not put a handle on it and the bowl and tray need to have more work done, but the bowl has a few hair line cracks on the sides and the bottom so will not over do this one. At least I have some thing to look back on. I don't know how the hairline cracks got there but they may have already been in the wood before I cut it. I didn't inspect the wood very well and it was a scrap piece I cut. The tray was one I cut out and the sides did not match up so I made it into a tray for putting small Dremel bits in. Now I know I can cut out a bowl. Will order more wood after the holidays and try again to get a nice bowl done. Thanks for looking,,, Fay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A bowl, my first (640x480).jpg (28.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Shuttle box-1 (640x480).jpg (28.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg full of shuttles-2 (640x480).jpg (25.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg A tray (640x480).jpg (26.5 KB, 53 views)
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
cute and crafty

Nice assortment of projects--they all look really nice. Can't wait to see how you progress--I predict we'll be seeing a lot of good stuff coming out of your shop.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Thanks Carole, The angle thing is what's getting my goat, but will continue to work on it. I may purchase an angle guage to put on the scroll saw so I will not have to look under the table. I can't see the numbers on that little thing. But then again Steve Good has a free angle guage on his site that I can make and that should also help. Not to mention my cutting will need work too. Well gotta go fix some supper, Mom is hungry and Sis is tired so I told her I would cook and take care of the dogs. Butter is outside barking so I best get the dogs feed before I fix supper. Scooter doesn't bark so not sure if that's a blessing or not...Have a great evening Fay
Old 12-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #4

There's an angle guide on here somewhere that I printed and glued to a piece of wood. I use this all the time to check my angles and make sure my blade is straight. I know Rolf knows where it is, as he uses it too. I also found that when you drill holes, tilt your drill press to the same angle to drill. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to discover this. It was one of those "Duh" moments.

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to will8989 For This Useful Post:
Terry Murphy (01-07-2014)
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Looking good Fay. This is how it starts Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

DW
DWSudekum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Betty I don't have a full size drill press but do have the workstation for my Dremel tool. It doesn't drill at angles, but I did what Carole did , I used a scrap piece of wood that was drilled at the angle it called for and then put that against the drill bit to start the hole and then took the scrap angled piece of wood away and then finished drilling. I used my flex shaft tool to do that as my drill konked out. I found that to drill a better hole as I was able to get ahold of it better. It was so funny, I made some taco bowls last night for supper and I thought right away of Carole's petal bowl, the one that is in her book Wooden bowls. I'll have to give that bowl a try one of these days, but will work on the basic bowls first and practice more on the angles and the sanding and all that stuff. One day I will come out with a nice bowl. I can't believe that Mom said this bowl is so pretty. Have a great day and thank you all for the nice compliments. Fay
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #7

I did eventually buy an angle guide that has a magnet on the bottom and I love it. I think I paid about $10 bucks for it and all I have to do is put the marker thing on the angle I need and then set it on the saw table and then tilt it until that mark hits the angle and I don't even have to look under the table any more. Now to work on another bowl project. I have a box and a nautilus shell to finish first, so will work on those for a spell before cutting out another bowl. Have a great day Fay
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #8

Nice work, can't wait to see the finished project.
55Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #9

You are really cranking out the projects, Fay. Those look real good.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

Those were made back in Novemeber and December. I'm working on an orm=nament hanger thing and a nautilus shell so later I will try another bowl if I don't run out of wood first... Have a great day Fay