Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Default more bowl firewood!!!

okay so once again a bowl in progress due to thin sides is ready to hit the fireplace. I have a very stupid question to ask all you bowl professionals as I am not going to give up until I make a good bowl. Here is my question after you glue up the rings do you sand from the bottom up or the top down.I try to keep the rings even all the way around, I am concentrating on the angle like scrollerpete said but I still manage to have areas where I have to keep sanding to get the edges even, and thus great small holes or very thin spots. Thanks for any help I may receive.

Mike
patsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
cute and crafty

Mike, are you using adequate instructions? Most of the problems folks have comes from not understanding the process. Sometimes they get lucky and hit it off, but more often, they're confused as to why things are not working out. That's why I wrote my book--to answer all the questions I had, then to get the answers out to anyone else interested in making bowls so they didn't repeat my mistakes.

For starters, how well do your rings line up after cutting? No one gets it perfect, but do they hang over the edges, extend in too far? That tells you whether your angle is correct. Are you drilling your entry hole accurately? Drillings that are slightly off are a mess to sand away. I even have a video dedicated to drilling entry holes, and don't always get it right, even now.

How wide a ring are you cutting? I think 3/8" is a good starting width because it gives enough room to sand out drill and blade marks. 3/4" wood, 3/8" ring width, and 27˚ or 28˚ cutting angle is a good place to start.

What are you using for sanding? Internal sanding is difficult without a long spindle or round inflatable sander. All the internal sanding needs to be done before attaching the base. Then the base gets glued and the outside is sanded.

Outside sanding can be done with small pad sanders, or a belt sander, if the sides aren't too off. If they are, you'll have to go with very thin sides, but they never should be that far off if your cutting angle was correct.

You can check out my bowl-making videos (scrollergirl is my channel) and may find some tips to help. You shouldn't be having that much trouble. Might help to post some pictures of your bowls in various stages. We might be able to see what's giving you grief.

And you can always PM me if you have a specific question. You'll get there--most people do, and then they're hooked!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

Default bowl sanding

Carole
the bowl I am trying to make is from your first book it is the eight petal bowl. I am using 3/4 " thick pine for now until I can come close to getting it right. I have the round bulb and straight 1 3/4 x 2"" plus a 2 1/4/x 3/4 straight where you add your own cut sandpaper. I try sanding at the angles after glue up I will double check my drill hole and angles on the scroll saw for the next one I try.
thanks for the reply and also will check out your videos.

Mike
Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
cute and crafty

Mike, have you tried a simple round bowl yet? If not, give it a go to get used to using the sanders.

If you've succeeded with the round bowl, post pix of what your petal bowl looks like, and if you try another one, post pix of the rings once they are glued up before you sand them. If the rings don't line up, the sanding will be a major headache. BTW, I've made some bowls with very thin walls if I had to do remedial sanding. If the glue-up is good, you can go to about 1/8" thick and they won't fall apart. And nobody will know that there ever was a problem.

We'll get to the bottom of this yet!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #5

My bowl is looking pretty good. I will post a picture of mine when it is done. I have the finish on it and it isn't dry enough to do any more with it so will give it a go tomorrow. I have to be very careful with this bowl because I found some hairline cracks in the bottom and the walls. I didn't inspect that wood as it was a scrap piece and it will be a display piece and not for any thing else but at least I will have some thing to look back on. After the holidays I will order some good wood and have another go at it myself. I'm proud of the bowl I've got down in the shop drying. Mike you'll get it and like me it will take time and practice. Have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #6

Default bowls

Thanks for the encouraging words. I will be trying another after the holidays I will post glue up pictures so you can see what is going on. I have made a round bowl with success awhile back but I would like to accomplish making a few petal bowls.
Thanks again everyone for your input.
Mike