Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Author

Default Building a New Bowl Press

Guys

I decided to build another press. I made my first and second octangle shaped with eight posts. I know Carole uses a circle with 6 posts.

I am thinking of making this new one 12" square with 8 posts (four corners and four between corners. I figure this give a huge press area. I also plan to use threaded inserts with thread rods for the posts so the press can clamp down to zero and it can be used for a flower press.

I am planning to make several top pieces One solid the the others with different sized holes so I can see the inside of a bowl when I clamp.

I figure if I make two by removing a singlemid post from both of them will allow then to function as a 12" by 24" press.

Any ideas? Comments?

ps If anyone wants a bowl press I can make you a good deal on it!

Dave
DaveVanEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Got Moose?

Hi Dave:
I use wood blocks inside the press as spacers so I am not running wing nuts up and down crazy distances. Went looking for the bolt/nut assembly you see on a pressure cooker where the bolt swings out of the groove on the lid and hangs on the side of the pot, but never could find any. The next step will be slots rather than holes for two adjacent rods on the octangle so the lid does not have to come off and a bowl just slips in the side. I like your hole in the top idea.
Terry
Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
cute and crafty

Terry, check out the post about Dave's new bowl clamps. Eliminates the need for spacers.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Author

If fact it is faster than spacers. It used to be I had to place a spacer the a washer then a wing nut and then tighten. the remaining way.

I now just drop the new clamps onto the threaded rods and tighten.

Instead of storing a bunch of spacers, washers, and wingnuts, I only have the quick clamps.

Dave
Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Got Moose?

Carole and Dave, my spacers are 1" and 1/2" wood to fit the bottom of the press. I will look into the new clamps. Keep up the good bowl work.
Terry
Old 12-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #6

Me too,,, I found it a bit cumbersome to put my bowl in my press. I would have had to take the top of it completely off to get the bowl in it. I was so afraid it would mess up my bowl, but got it in.
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Wood Manipulator

Can somebody please post a picture... I have read, and re-read and I just for the life of me can't picture what some of these clamps look like....
Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
cute and crafty

I posted a thread a little while back on Dave's new clamps, with a picture. Don't have time now to look for the thread, but you should be able to find it.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handibunny For This Useful Post:
Jack Sprat (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Author

The direction I am going is the make the press with two pieces of 14" square, 3/4" plywood with 8 threaded rods. This will allow a working space of over 12" square. I figure it can also function as a paper press and scrapbbook paper is 12" square. Baltic plywood comes in 60" square sheets so I can get 16 blanks from it.

How does this sound? Too big? Would you use yuour press for multiple duty?

Dave
Old 12-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #10

I would. It can be used for a number of things. It can be used for small items as well as larger items. I'm glad I made one. Ward made some sort of a jig for clamping things too, but it had only one carriage bolt in it and it doesn't work well at all so I have no idea what he used it for. He used to turn on his lathe. After he passed , my brother got the lathe and the table saw. He did have a band saw, but I don't know who got that. So I'm glad that bowl press came in handy. I used it for the shuttle box I made and it clamped really night and it didn't shift at all. I thought maybe it would. Have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote