Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Author

Default Big Bowl

The wood working club I belong to is having a build something with a single 8 foot 2 by 4 contest. So I decided to make a big bowl with an old yellow cedar 2 by 4 I got 20 years back helping a friend build his deck.

The bowl is 20" by 15" by 6" tall. There are only four cuts. It took more time to build the new bowl press than it took to make the basket.

I finished it with Howard's Feed N Wax. A great product. Slop it on, wait 30 minutes, wipe off, and buff . It contains orange oil so I am happy it covered up the god awful smell of the yellow cedar. I remember now why that 2 by 4 has been sitting in a shop for 20 years. Found it way in the back!

Dave

Last edited by DaveVanEss; 09-21-2014 at 04:08 PM.
DaveVanEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #2

Dave that is impressive.

I am curious did you start with a 2 x 4 or 1 1/2 by 3 1/2. and what angle did you cut?

I am in charge of the very first 2x4 challenge at our club and am trying to stir up interest. Does your club have a web site or the rules posted somewhere?

Thanks

Don
Don in Brooklin On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #3

Very nicely done Dave. That turned out great. Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Author

Don
Our rules are very simple. They allow you yo use any type of wood that is 2" thick, 4" wide and 8' long.

I am disagrre with that so I use a real 2 by4 that is 1.5" by 3.5"

Here are the rules

1 You must start with a complete 2 by 4 (I would require that the contestants take a picture)

2 A small amount of detail material, hinges, wheels, etc is allowed.

3. You must use 80% of the wood.

If it was me I would require that the project be made with a 2 by 4 bought at a lumber yard or home center and the receipt be included with submission. I was upset when one member made something out of cocobolo and added up the volume of wood to be 2 x 4 x 96 cubic inches. I threaten to make soimething from a 32" square of MDF and say I made it myself.

To keep people from going crazy I recommend that the projects be auctioned and the proceeds be used to pay for material for your clubs charities. We make flag boxes for the families of veterans. We also make toys for needy kids!

Dave
Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #5

Thanks Dave our rules are for real 2x4 and we have a special category for a construction grade SPF 2x4. We will see how it goes as this is our first year.

Back to your bowl. What is the wall thickness and the angle you cut. If I want a 3/8 wall I get an angle or 14 degrees. Is that okay.

Thanks

Don
Don in Brooklin On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
cute and crafty

Dave, did the saw max out on the thick wood cut at an angle? I assume you glued up 4 pieces of 2x4 to get the needed width, but did you reduce the thickness before cutting the rings?

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

Wow! Can't believe that bowl was made from a 2 by 4! I have a bunch of them around here but not going to be able to make a bowl from them. I'm getting a saw max for Christmas as I know because I bought it myself. I bought myself a miter guage also so there will be a couple of gifts under the tree for me. Last year I was forgotten.....whaaaaa... Any way I'll use it to make some shelving for the shop or some thing. I did ask for wood for Christmas. If no wood then going to make a trip to Home Depot for the wood. Your bowl turned out great. Looks like plenty big enough for a huge bowl of popcorn. for watching a good movie.....Have a great day Fay
Fay P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Author

First the bowl if 15 wide and 20 long" the poly order is about 2.3

the first ring is at 4/16", then 7/16" then 10/16" and finally 13/16"

I use an angle guide so I don't have to calculate angles. IF you need the angle just use
this anglew calculator
AngleCalc!

Set the thickness to 1.5000

Even with the thixkest cut the depth is never above 2" (1.71") So I am okay.

I also trimmed the 2 by 4 to 3.25" so I had to glue 5 together.

Dave
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Author

Update

I submitted my project at our December meeting and it won. So I have a new $20 bill in my pocket and a car that naturaly drives by the Woodcraft if you let go of the stearing wheel........

Dave
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Senior member...Sweeet

Congrats on your win Dave, funny thing I have a car that does the same thing when driving by Rockler. Many thanks if I have not said it before for your fantastic contribution to this site and programs you create. Angle/Calc rocks.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote