Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

Default couple of pieces

first scroll saw work I have done in 11 years, and also, these are the first basket weave type pieces I have ever done.

first is a small basket/box. a Steve Good pattern, but I used 7 rings of 1/4 inch stock (alternating aspen and red oak) rather than 3 3/4 rings as suggested in the pattern. I am currently working on another one because my wife took it to work with her and one of the ladies where she works asked me to make one for her.

next piece is another Good pattern, that I added to. My 12 year old son wanted me to make this for him to give to his girlfriend for her birthday tomorrow. Body is 3 1/2 inch layers of aspen. top ring and bottom are red oak. I then used a piece of 1/4 aspen and cut out her name in a ribbon, and backed it up with the cut out from the top ring, making it a small box rather than an open basket.

He says he hopes she will like it, I told him that when he gives it to her at school, the other girls and even some of the teachers will be jealous, lol!

I appologize for pic quality and size. they are cell phone pics. and I really have no idea why one of the pics is smaller than the other two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first basket 1.jpg (48.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg sabrina box 1.jpg (38.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg sabrina box 2.jpg (41.5 KB, 93 views)
just Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Staying Positive

Well I must say the 11 year wait was well worth it. Glad to see you are back making sawdust and putting smiles on peoples faces...

Welcome A Board!! Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

It would be difficult to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking.
Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful.
Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.
Use the Link below.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/mes...-and-feedback/.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wood-n-things For This Useful Post:
just Josh (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Very nicely done! Exspecially after an 11 year pause. I am sure they will love them. Thanks for sharing them with us and welcome back to the love of sawdust

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DWSudekum For This Useful Post:
just Josh (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

I am fascinated by people who can "tweak" a pattern and make it their own - SUCH a lovely job on both pieces! I really need to go (again) to Steve's site and get that basket pattern, and I suspect I will do just what you did with it. GREAT STUFF!
PatteM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatteM For This Useful Post:
just Josh (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

I made a couple more pieces today, Steve's patterns again.
a smaller basket/box that my 9 year old daughter liked, and a small baby doll cradle that she liked.
Will get pics later.

Cool thing is, while going through a box of old patterns that had been packed away for over 10 years, I came across 4 intarsia projects that I had never completed. One just needs to be assembled, 1 needs to be finished shaped then assembled. One has be rough shaped, now needs sanding and assembled, and one has only been cut out, but nothing else.

Looks like I need to get the dremel tool and flapwheel sanders dug out and get to work on them sometime soon.

I can't believe how much fun I am having again...
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

Do u have a link to Steve's pattern? Can't find it.

It's curved when I want straight, and straight when I want curved.

DW-788, Delta Midi Lathe
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

I don't know how to copy links with my phone, but, go to Untitled Document
Then click on pattern catalog, then baskets and boxes section.

There are about 30 patterns or so in that section
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #8

I was home sick from work today, so I spent a little time at the saw. Wish it could have been more, but my body wouldn't let me sit there for very long.

Anyhow, I cut the pcs for another basket, and I glued up yet another basket that I had already cut. WHen time allows (when my head and body feel better) I will take some pics and post up.

I have to say, cutting these basket weave type pieces is rather enjoyable and relaxing
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
A Saw Horse

I went over to Steven's site and went through all of the baskets files and I can't find that pattern either.

Great cutting!!!!

Brenda's Blog (This is a little bit of everything, Scrapbooking, Crocheting, Crafting, Wood Crafting)

Brenda's Gallery

"If you are not always busy something is wrong!"
bdsears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

I have cut two of his baskets recently. They are quite fun to do. I just need to put a finish on them. I am thinking about doing the heart one.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."

Henry David Thoreau
solobiker is offline   Reply With Quote