Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #1

Default First Bowl Cutting This Weekend

I am going to start my first bowl this weekend. One question though, is it better to do a pattern then attatch it to the board, or to draw the circles directly on the board?

Thanks
Rockymtnrawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
A Saw Horse

I just did an oval box... but that didn't have the tilted (degree) on the blade. I still want to try a bowl of some kind.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your finished bowl.

Brenda's Blog (This is a little bit of everything, Scrapbooking, Crocheting, Crafting, Wood Crafting)

Brenda's Gallery

"If you are not always busy something is wrong!"
bdsears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

The choice is up to you, however if you lay down a layer of that blue painters tape and then put the pattern down on top of that the blade will have less of a tenancy to burn the wood.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Got Moose?

If you use ScrollMania! there is a pattern design program, Polydraw, and an Angle Calculator. You can make shapes other than round. A compass also works. I get better results with Polydraw.
Terry
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

I have made bowls both with a pattern and drawing lines myself....not just circles...sometimes ovals and square. I guess it will depend on what works best for you...try both ways.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

I got the cutout and gluing done yesterday. A couple of hiccups along the way, most with the scroll saw blade. Except for a couple drill marks (I had to change blades and all I had was a thicker one) bowl came out well. I dont think I will be able to get one of the drill marks out. Now, on to sanding the inside and gluing the bottom on and final sanding. A few lessons learned, but all in all, it is turning out well. This is my first real scroll saw project except for cutting out some pinewood derby cars.

Lessons learned:

I struggled with the blade for awhile (first time using pinless) but I think that now I have that part figured out. At first, I was trying to tension the blade with the tensioner unlocked, now I will do that locked. Also, i now have my saw adjusted so that the blade sits against the bottom and top of the blade holders which is working well.

Drilling my holes, I didnt start them with an awl first, so I had a little bit of bit wander

Things that went well:

I did my design in Microsoft Visio, and my oval bowl pattern was spot on, and all of the cuts turned out well and were spot on

I used painters tape on my board first, then glued my pattern down followed by clear packing tape, and this also worked out very well.

Right now I have a cheap Ryobi bench sander that doesnt sand true on the belt, so I used the disk, and the sides of the bowl sanded down very well using 150 grit

Today, I am going to pick up a sanding drum for my drill press (I cant seem to locate a sanding ball that isnt priced out of sight) and get the inside sanded so I can get the base glued on tonight. Any recommendations on where to purchase a sanding ball?

All in all, I am hooked, and cant wait to move on to the next project. I think my next garage purchase is going to be a surface planer (recommendations?) so I can start working with some different types of patterns. I will get some pictures posted later.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Sounds like things are going well. I am still in the process on mine.

Lessons:
1. Used drill bits that were too large. Learned from this and have used smaller bit successfully on some fretwork in another project,
2. Sanding - lot o' work. I bought the Rigid Spindle Sander, and while it is helping sand the outside, the way the table tilts/folds will prevent it helping for the inside.
3. I have purchased the Guinevere sander but have not tried it yet.
4. Finally, keep track of the bowl bottom! I put it aside when I glued the sides and have not seen it since.

It's curved when I want straight, and straight when I want curved.

DW-788, Delta Midi Lathe
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #8

What kind of scroll saw do you have Steve?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Got Moose?

The Rigid Spindle/Belt sander will sand the inside and outside. Depending on wood thickness, about 3 rings is the limit..

Drill the entry holes on the outside of the widest ring, and a bit inside on the narrowest ring, and about centered for the rest. Before you tilt the table on the drill press, drill about a 1mm deep hole for each ring hole. Makes it easier to get a somewhat true drill hole.

The care in sanding item is pay attention to the bottom ring thickness that you need to glue to the bottom. I have been known to sand it into oblivion, fro which I was awarded a T-shirt and a reverse Attaboy..
Terry
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
cute and crafty

If you're just starting to make bowls, you might find my bowl videos helpful.

Fox Chapel has one on its website for making a basic bowl, and I have a number of them on YouTube (scrollergirl is my channel) on various aspects of the process. I tried to target the areas that tend to be most problematic, and hope that it helps prevent unnecessary grief and "designer firewood".

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote