Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Default compound vases

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has sucsessfully complete a coumpound vase. I have currently been working on a compound vase and roses. I am growing frustarated as no matter how precise I've been in my cuts, in the assembly of the vase I seem to always not have enough room to accomodate all the panels. Is there something in the assembly that I'm not aware of that will help me get my panels properly spaced? I'm about to start my third attempt at this and would certainly like to avoid a fourth attempt.
elevenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #2

I made one of these a few weeks ago. My grandson gave me the idea so I went looking for a plan. Found one. Vase was 6 sides if I remember correctly. Mine fit together correctly. I just mis cut the height of the panels. Had 2 of them off a bit. This one had tabs in top and bottom that fit into rings that held in place.
rcramer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

beautiful job, lovely! I'm using the same pattern-one a tad too high but light filing remedied it. Twice the space for last panel was too narrow. I'm preparing for try number three today-wish me luck! If it works I'll post pic after I pop the cork on the champaigne.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #4

Hmmmmm... Twice the space for last panel was to narrow.. Did you change the plan size? Also all the panels are glued in same direction? I am trying to figure out how they would not fit. I cut mine exactly as the plan was and all fit together. I took the upper and lower ring and started on one side placing the panels in. I had to glue in half and let dry and then glue in other half as it was not easy task to hold. But in end all fit together well. Also when you goto glue the roses together, I took small cups and cut bottom out and used the cup to hold the petals until dry. When you goto drill the center hole in the flowers, make sure you use a drill press with a sharp bit and NOT a hand drill as the flowers will explode. Yes I found out the hard way.

BTW the finished product was a huge hit with grandson and his mom.

Ronnie
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #5

Hello every one, I would like to try make one of those compound vase. On the CD archive SSWC1 that I bought recently on the issue number 7, summer 2002, there is one, but in my CD I don't have the full pattern of the vase page 41, is there anybody who's got it and could give me ? Thanks a lot.
Dominique.
brolles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Thanks again! Am using more seasoned wood against any kind of warping, and today being wet and windy trying again seems like a good way to spend the day. Don't know why but I'm feeling sucsess this time....will definitely post when I have this made!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #7

Mission Accomplished! Not quite sure what the problem was, but all pieces fit perfectly.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #8

That is great news. Yes please keep us posted as you work on this. Also another tid bit I just remembered is on the leaves. It shows you need 6. What I found is if i cut an extra line on thin side I only have to actually cut 3 of the wider sides. And the side cut is far easier than the wide side cut.

Ronnie
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #9

Thanks, will. Was curious if you've tried any of these or a compound project in hardwood like walnut and also what TPI are you using? My instructions say use a #5 which I'm not sure if that is its TPI or not, the only place in my area that stocks blades at all stock 11 and 12 TPI and I have to special order my veining blades of 20 TPI. I used the 11 TPI on this one made out of pine but now that I have the hang of it I want to make one as a retirement gift our of walnut. These 11TPI's should be good for it-I hope.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #10

I cut some walnut and cedar compound ornaments (1" square) for Christmas with ur #5 from Mikesworkshop.com. He sells Flying Dutchman blades and his service is outstanding. These are 15tpi. They worked fine for what I was doing. The 11tpi should be fine. Just remember to only go as fast as blade will allow. I only broke 2 blades cutting over 100 ornaments. And those two were because I let the blade get dull before I changed it.

Ronnie