Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Default Questions for basket makers

1. When you cut out each layer of the basket, do you drill a whole then thread the blade through or cut through the ring and then glue it back together?

2. Do you use CA glue to attach each layer to the next or a wood glue like titebond?

3. Do you use a press with CA glue like you would have to with a wood glue?

4. Any problems with the glue not holding and the layers snapping apart?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #2

Hi Keith,

1. I drill a hole and thread the blade for each ring

2. I use CA glue to attach the rings. I prefer the thick/gel type

3. No press, but I do set some weight on the inverted basket for a few minutes. (soup cans work fine for me)

4. I only had one basket bottom come off, after the basket fell off a table.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Keith some do it both ways. Personally I try to keep the rings intact and that mean drilling a hole for each entry so that I can cut the ring. When doing the glue up I use Titebond II and a modified Carole Rothman bowl press. It gives great even pressure and I can put it aside while I work on something else. I have never had separation of the rings.

DW
DWSudekum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Drill hole, thread blade, sand sand and sand to get rid of drill mark, use titebond III to glue back together. I found that CA separates after a while. For a weight, I use chilton's auto manual and/or son's weights on top. some times I have to clamp if the wood is slightly warped.

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Hi Keith...all of the above. I prefer the CA gel when I am doing one that has a raised bottom with the supports on the outside. But be careful because if you put on too much and it gets outside the glue area, it is a devil to get off before you put on a finish (much worse that Titebond II.

george

delta 650, hawk G426
sawdustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

I am trying a different glue and will let you know the results. Hubby tapes and tapes shows and watches them before he goes to work. Today he was watching one on glue and MADE (as if anyone could make me do anything) me watch it, and they were demoing Titebond II & III and Titebnond Molding & Trim glue. The molding glue is very thick, so you only need the amount you can put on with a toothpick on the basket and it doesn't run when it spreads. I have the problem with the glue runs when I do my cardholders and hubby sands, sands and sands to get rid of them. This should put an end to it. I am cutting a basket tonight and will glue up tomorrow and let you know how it works.

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #7

Thanks Betty and others. We are in the process of cleaning out the basement so I can work down there through the winter. I'd like to add some baskets to my show inventory next year. I've never tried them before and wanted to know where to start.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #8

Keith I agree with Betty. I glue basket and bowl rings together with Titebond molding glue. In fact, I use it for all the smaller items I need to glue together. On the basket rings, make sure your board if very flat or you will have a problem having the glue hold them together.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Steviegwood

I drill each one and use Titebond molding and trim glue. It dries clear, has fast tack and is thick for no runs. I have never had one come apart. I have dropped and broken one but not where the glue was. Steve
Steviegwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #10

You drill a hole in the ring and put glue on the lower ring and the glue is forced into the hole? Hmmm. I tried it on the cardholders today and was SOLD. I put a thin line on, smoothed it with a toothpick and put on the rib. Put glue on top of the rip and put on the top piece and pressed together. The upside - fast adhesion time. The downside - fast adhesion time. LOL Was very happy how well it worked with no glue runs. Now, to cut that basket out!! If your boards aren't completely flat, clamp TIGHTLY together until dry and all should be fine.