Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Default 10 inch Cedar Bowl

10 inch Cedar Bowl. Cut from 3/4 cedar purchased at Lowes. Finished with shellac.

DW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 inch cedar bowl 002.jpg (38.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 10 inch cedar bowl 003.jpg (38.5 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 10 inch cedar bowl 013.jpg (35.5 KB, 170 views)
DWSudekum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #2

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I luv how that one turned out and how you used the knots and all...the grain is spectacular! Did you have any issues sanding with such a soft wood vs the knots?

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com
lkbraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
MrsTrout's Husband

nice job DW, your bowl looks great...

Trout
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Senior member...Sweeet

That bowl took on a life of it's own DW......fantastic grain pattern. Looks great all around.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkbraa View Post
WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I luv how that one turned out and how you used the knots and all...the grain is spectacular! Did you have any issues sanding with such a soft wood vs the knots?
Kim the main thing is to make sure that the knots are tight.. if they are loose you might wish to epoxy or otherwise glue them so that they are tight. It does take a bit of hand sanding to keep things even. Thanks for the complements.

DW
Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #6

That is beautiful DW. I love cedar.
Linda
AirNationalGuardMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #7

Thanx DW for the reply! That is what I was wondering....as I have done some projects with knots and they dropped out like a cannon ball!!! And duh....I do not know why I did not think about epoxy...blonde moment - lol! Too late now...they became some great designer firewood. Is there any cautions about sanding something with epoxy on it...does it heat up like other glues. Do you have a preference on brand of epoxy? Oh, and one more question (for now - tee hee) how does expoxy take finish like shellac or lacquer? OK, I think I am done with the questions this round!
Thanx for all your help and inspiration!!!

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com
lkbraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkbraa View Post
Thanx DW for the reply! That is what I was wondering....as I have done some projects with knots and they dropped out like a cannon ball!!! And duh....I do not know why I did not think about epoxy...blonde moment - lol! Too late now...they became some great designer firewood. Is there any cautions about sanding something with epoxy on it...does it heat up like other glues. Do you have a preference on brand of epoxy? Oh, and one more question (for now - tee hee) how does expoxy take finish like shellac or lacquer? OK, I think I am done with the questions this round!
Thanx for all your help and inspiration!!!
I use the ordinary 5 min 2 part epoxy. I just mix a bit and apply it where needed. It sands just fine and it takes a finish just fine. Only real caution is sanding epoxy and cedar as well you should mask up to keep the dust out of your lungs.

DW
Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #9

Very nice Bowl DW...I like the design and the cedar looks rich. You are so correct about taking care of your lungs....that is one reason I had to stop working with Cedar...and it makes my hands break out...after using it for nearly 30 years??
Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Wade's Woodwerks

Excellent bowl DW. You did a great job.
wsmith0896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowl, cedar, shellac