Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Default Use of Polymer/Air Dry clay.

I have read about people cutting out a pattern then filling the open part with Polymer Clay or Air Dry Clay. If anyone has tried this could you please tell me if you have problems with the clay shrinking as it dries. Polymer has to be baked in an over for about 30 minutes at 275-295 degrees and air dry, as it's name implies, dries after 24-48 hours exposure to the air. I would like to give it a try but want to make sure I get the right clay and am prepared for what I might encounter. Many Thanks....

Cheers,

Phestus
Phestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #2

The polymer clay baking temperature is at that temperature but your bake time is incorrect. The package states 15 minutes per 1/4 of thickness. If you do decide to use the polymer clay the cooking sheet that you are using will no longer be able to be used for food. You will need to work the polymer clay to get it soft and pliable. it is real easy to use and stands up real nicely.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #3

I haven't used the clay for scroll pieces yet but I used FIMO clay for a bowl below.

My biggest concern was the colour spreading into the wood so I sealed the area first. I also undercut the lower edge a little.

I have a couple of projects that I plan on doing in the future with clay inlay but got to get Christmas cuts done first.

IMG_6798.jpg

Don
Don in Brooklin On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #4

Don and DW,

Thanks to both of you for responding to my query on Polymer and Air Dry clay. I'm sorry but I still don't know if there is a shrinkage problem with either clay. Guess I'll just have to buy a little of each and try 'em out. Thanks Again!

Phestus
Phestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #5

With the polymer clay there is very little if any shrinkage. The main problem with the polymer clay is you have to bake it so you are working with temperatures hotter than boiling water. A bit of care has to be taken but it is colorsafe, fun and easy to use.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

I have done a few small pieces without a shrinkage problem. Apparently it's normal for polymer clay to shrink a bit, though, so it could be a problem on larger items where more clay is used. The clay can be baked more than once, so if shrinking is a problem you can just fill in the gaps with fresh clay and bake it again.
Simon Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #7

Hi, All,
I have also wondered about some of these items such as shrinkage, pieces drying and flaking out, color bleed.
Don in On, that bowl would NOT be food safe, correct?
Thanks for any replies. God Bless! Spirithorse55@hotmail.com
Spirithorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Don in On, that bowl would NOT be food safe, correct?
From what I read the Polymer Clay in non toxic and food safe. It is not on the FIMO site but there is a whole site about Polymer Clay safety which states it is non toxic.

After I baked the FIMO I put the bowl back on the lathe to sand down and then finished with 4 thin coats of General's Salad bowl finish and then polished with the Beal system.

Overall, I think it would be food safe.

Don

PS: I experienced no shrinkage that I could see but I overfilled and sanded back.
Don in Brooklin On is offline   Reply With Quote