Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Default A few new bandsaw boxes

Here are a few new boxes I have made....they are setting in a local shop for sale right now. The Tree box has holes in the back to push open the drawers...didn't want to mess up the look of the tree.

The first box was made from Mango with a Koa front, the second is Mango with Koa with a strip of redwood and Koa pulls (sorry, the picture of this box should be standing up, not on the side), the third is white oak with Koa drawer fronts. I also included a pic. of the back of the tree box.

Not sure if I have posted the last one or not, but it was cut from Mango burl...had a heck of a time getting it to this point.

I ran out of bandsaw blades so while I wait I have glued up lots of new blanks all ready to cut. I am really happy that a couple of the high end stores here are interested enough in putting them on display, and they have been selling. I do not discount them to the stores and I am really amazed at the prices they are receiving for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0581.jpg (106.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0582.jpg (109.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0584.jpg (112.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0586.jpg (105.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0583.jpg (101.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0389.jpg (95.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0388.jpg (91.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! Another outstanding batch of boxes!!! Congrats on the sales and getting your foot in the door at the high end shops...make sure you sign your pieces!!! I put my sig inside one of the drawer backs to not distract from the overall look of the box.

I am so envious of your woods available!!! I even got online and looked at ordering some and about fell over on the price, I guess I will just stick to the ones around here.

I luv the tree design...is that one of your own designs? I like the finger holes in the back too. Did ya get a chance to try out the seashell patter I sent ya? I think with some strategically placed kerf lines it could be cut on the bandsaw too.

Great job once again...can't wait to see whatcha come up with next.

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com
lkbraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Staying Positive

Very well done indeed. Share what prices they are commanding on the islands..

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
cute and crafty

Hey, you're getting really, really good at this! And I do love the tree, especially!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Senior member...Sweeet

How's your shoulder? Those are totally sweeeeet. Congrats on your sales.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Kim, I have started on the shell box...in fact I have the drawers cut out and noticed the blade was having a very hard time cutting...to dull. Then I noticed I out of new blades...so it is setting in the shop waiting for new blades to arrive in the mail. I started cutting the drawers out before I looked real good, and almost messed a nice piece of Koa.

It's true, Koa is very costly even here. I can not afford prices of $25 a board foot for it, so I run an add on craigs list once a month asking for anyone that has wood they wish to sell at lower prices. Most of what I get is in pretty bad shape and takes along time to get it to a workable condition, but Koa is what allot of people ask for. Mango and Monkey Pod isn't as hard to obtain, and I have a friend that is always needing some Norfolk Pine and Ironwood trees cut down.

As for pricing, I charge the stores $50 for the one drawer boxes and up to $200 (the tree box)...and they had their pricing on top of that. We were selling at a local Farmers Market, but they have needed to move and it is not in a good location that people driving by can see...so I am waiting for them to move back..until then I keep trying to sell to stores.

The tree box is not my design...well not all of it. I for something like it on like and changed it is several ways.

WD, the shoulder is not good at all. I see the next Dr. on Thursday and I know they will send me in for an operation. I will just hate the down time from the shop. I work for a couple hours in the shop and then set with a heat pad on it for a while.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #7

Excellent work on those Larry. Sorry to hear about your shoulder not doing well. One of these days I will get a supply of wood native to the Islands and see what I can make form them. Love those boxes Larry. Keep em coming.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #8

Larry,

Those look great! Way to go on getting your items into that high traffic shop. Way to go!

SQ
Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #9

Those look great Larry. I really like the last one.

My sawdust gallery
Ron Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #10

Good job Larry.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
Desert Woodcrafters woodworking club
Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.
stephenD is offline   Reply With Quote