Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
cute and crafty

Default Playing with pivots and magnets--a new box

The lid for this pivot-lid box is based on a Vietnamese temple window design. The actual window has a swastika incorporated into the design. Although that symbol predates Nazism, I couldn't see leaving it in, and removed it by taking the half that did not include it, flipping that image, and creating a new whole.

The main wood is cherry, the design cut from bloodwood and backed by yellowheart veneer, and the small decorative circles are cut from 1/4" walnut dowel. The pivoting lid is secured with a small rare earth magnet. I have a chapter on pivot lid boxes in the new book that are constructed similarly, but with a design the does not need magnets (better for children).

Great way to use up small pieces of wood, and a quick and fun project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vietnamese temple window adaptation closed.jpg (66.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Vietnamese temple window adaptation.jpg (67.0 KB, 58 views)

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Staying Positive

With the decorative dowel pieces it looks somewhat like an ancient game board. Nicely done and kudos on your decision to remove the swastika.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior member...Sweeet

Sweeeeet cut Carole, and I like what you did to the pattern......sans swastika.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

Excellent job Carole. I like your changes in design and the wood choices. I am really looking forward to your book.

Anyway I really like the design and wonder if it could not be adapted to make some form of lock. One were you move the dowels into a certain position to get the lid to open Now that would be a tricky build I bet.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Laying into Inlay

Very nice Carole....!!!!
Elegant, yet not austentacious, (sp?)....
I really like the magnet catch.....!!!

I can't wait for the new book....!!!!!

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
No task is too tedious for Art.
Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
Featherwood Woodcrafts
JimSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Very nice looking Carole!

Bob

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!
Greenfield_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
cute and crafty

Thanks for the kind words! I'm having fun. It's nice to be able to follow an idea through, without being concerned about whether it will work.

Did feel guilty about not using inlay, however. . .

Follow me on my blog:
Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #8

Carole, does your brain ever shut off? You seem to be going at warp speed most of the time. Sure hope you're taking time to enjoy that new grandbaby.

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
cute and crafty

Glad to see you're feeling well enough to post, Betty. That sounded like one scary accident you were lucky to walk away from. Hope this is the end of your run of bad luck!

Actually, I've slowed down quite a bit. When I was doing the box book, I was cranking out 2 complete projects a week (patterns, instructions, photos) and really going non-stop. Now I'll put in a few hours, at a time, but if I'm on my feet too long, my body protests in very unpleasant ways. If I tried to work at Kim's pace, I'd end up comatose! So I go one project at a time, and sometimes even skip a day--but not too often. So many things yet to try!

And thanks for asking about my granddaughter--we saw her about 2 weeks ago--she's a real sweetheart. We'll be having the whole blended family over after Thanksgiving, which should be a real treat. And whenever the kids come over, they all leave with something that I've made, which is the best thing I can think of to do with my stuff.

Follow me on my blog:
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #10

I'm recuperating. My chest hurts alot. Ever try to zip your jeans after being slammed by an airbag, a seatbelt slamming you back into the seat and the lower air bags slamming into your shins? Or get up when you are bent at the knees looking on the shelf for something and no one around to lift you? Your chest muscles are used for more than breathing, I can tell you that!!! LOL My hands hurt alot from the steering wheel so I don't expect to be cutting much anytime soon. Plus my left hand is still recuperating from the table saw. But at least I walked away, or rather limped away. And have all fingers and thumbs. What else could a girl want?

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote