Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Author

Default Wood Story I

This has nothing to do with this group or everything. I am not sure which.

Dave

Some thirty years ago I was at my favorite lumberyard getting some wood for a project. I met gentlemen in his 50s looking at the cherry. He asked me several times if I would move some boards for him and, of course, I gladly did so. He then asked me if I would carry a certain piece to the back and cut it into 2 two foot pieces. I then told him no and before he could anger I explained I didn’t work there and was not allowed to use the saw. He had assumed I worked there and apologized for taking my time. I thought it odd that he was getting wood in 2-foot chucks and assumed he was a beginner, with no saw, expecting to get his wood cut exactly to size. I started to explain to him they would not cut the wood to exacting dimensions. It was here where he interrupted me to tell his story.

He was a retired machinist. Having broken his back, he was forced to take early retirement and was now limited to lifting no more than 5 pounds. His hobby had been woodworking and he was upset that would no longer be able to build furniture. The other machinists he worked with got together and made him a complete set of miniature woodworking tools. He now had a small table saw, miniature planer, and other tools designed to be small but functional. He was now making high end miniature dollhouse furniture. He told me that the four board feet of cherry he was buying would last him two months. He has an 18 month waiting list for his funrture and did cusom doll furniture for avid collectors.

When I was getting ready to leave I saw him paying for his purchase, the four little boards stacked on the counter. I volunteered to help him carry them out to his car. He politely thanked me but said he was more than able to load his own lumber. I then watched him slowly walk out to his truck four times, each time carrying just one of his boards. His spirit was inspiring. When circumstances left him no longer able to do what he loved, he found something else he could love doing. He still did it with pride and skill.

After thirty years I now find my skills have greatly increased but I am also finding the limitations of age keeping me from working as fast as I would like, lifting as much as I would like, or seeing the amount of detail that I would like. When limitations of age frustrate me, I look back and remember an old guy proudly loading his own stock, two feet at a time. I too will adapt. I will create. It’s the human spirit.
DaveVanEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Staying Positive

That is a wonderful story. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to tony coleman

what a inspiring story dave,

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/
tony coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
The WoodEraser

Great story. I know the feelings as my Uncle Arthur (arthritis) has come to live with me and my speed and agility is not what it use to be. We do what we can and work around our demons just not as fast.

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!
WoodCarverOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Laying into Inlay

Thanks Dave...
That was very inspiring...
My Landlord and great old friend of mine inspires me in a similar way. He's beaten cancer twice, and to see how he never quits, (you should see his yard. It's just magnificent), has taught me to keep going no matter what. I have a rather vicious and painful form of Tourette's syndrome, and I've learned that even a small victory is still a victory...

Thanks again Dave, GREAT story....!!!!!!

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
No task is too tedious for Art.
Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
Featherwood Woodcrafts
JimSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Just Goofy !

Wonderful story Dave. Thanks for sharing it with us. I know at my age, I am slowed quite a bit, but, I have extra time now, being retired. I do some things very slowly, that I used to do in a short time. I will think about that gentleman when I have any type of work to do. Thanks again.

Visit me at--- www.woodcraftsnquilts.com
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Max

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

"...vegetarian is an Indian word meaning lousy hunter." Steve Smith (aka Red Green)
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Yes Dave, it so true for so many of us that "got older" Our minds are sharp but the parts of our bodies do not work the same as they did in the past. I also used to build furniture, but would not think of lifting those heavy boards again. Perhaps that is the reason I use the scroll and band saw much more than I use the table saw. I am just thankful I am able to do something...so many folks can't even do that!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Laying into Inlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiilad View Post
I am just thankful I am able to do something...
Amen Larry....
That I can bring smiles to folks anyway is truely a blessing....

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
No task is too tedious for Art.
Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
Featherwood Woodcrafts
JimSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

Dave, that was an inspiring story and something we can all expect to encounter as we age. Thank you for sharing that great story.

Mike
campasano is offline   Reply With Quote