Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #1

Default Geometrically Challenged

I've been fooling with PolyDraw and getting results which would only be possible to cut if the principles of quantum physics were employed...

Geometrically challenged - the goal is to come up with some patterns for making the bread basket type items that Betty has made. Anyone have some patterns or PolyDraw parameter files for this?

I just keep going back to her "baskets and more baskets" post from awhile back and looking and going "wow!"

Thinking that in this economy sales of craft items that truly have some utility will do best.

Any thoughts most welcome!

Phil J.
Phil J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #2

lol Phil. Sometimes it's easier to use established patterns to make the baskets. Then, once you have made a few and know what goes into it, to create your own designs.
Sorry but I can't help with the PolyDraw info, I'm not familiar with that program.

I do find at shows that if the item is useful, they sell better.
T
Forester21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil J View Post
I've been fooling with PolyDraw and getting results which would only be possible to cut if the principles of quantum physics were employed...

Geometrically challenged - the goal is to come up with some patterns for making the bread basket type items that Betty has made. Anyone have some patterns or PolyDraw parameter files for this?

I just keep going back to her "baskets and more baskets" post from awhile back and looking and going "wow!"

Thinking that in this economy sales of craft items that truly have some utility will do best.

Any thoughts most welcome!

Phil J.
Phil use Dave's tutorials on using PolyDraw. They will help you out a lot.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
cute and crafty

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. And there is one on baskets, too.

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

Phil, I just read your post. I don't have time to fully reply now as I'm on my way to the doctor's but will post the pattern or the "numbers" later tonight. If you want to fool with the bowls, it's actually the square bowl made thinner and longer. Really confused, huh? It is really worth your while learning this program as once you get it down, it's a breeze. This from someone who took business in school and has no idea what Algebra or anything else is!! As for the basket, I sold 2 bread baskets this week-end and had a request for some in cherry wood as I only had black walnut. Check back later, and I'll have it on here!!

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Author

Hey Phil

This is Dave Van Ess. I wrote PolyDraw. I also included five or six tutorials. I ran them by Carole and she helped me translate them from Enginner to English. Give the first one a try y and if you still have problems, then email me. If not do the second one, etc

dwv@cypress.com

Dave Van Ess
DaveVanEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by will8989 View Post
Phil, I just read your post. I don't have time to fully reply now as I'm on my way to the doctor's but will post the pattern or the "numbers" later tonight. If you want to fool with the bowls, it's actually the square bowl made thinner and longer. Really confused, huh? It is really worth your while learning this program as once you get it down, it's a breeze. This from someone who took business in school and has no idea what Algebra or anything else is!! As for the basket, I sold 2 bread baskets this week-end and had a request for some in cherry wood as I only had black walnut. Check back later, and I'll have it on here!!

Thanks for all of the replies! Very interesting program, Dave. I will look forward to seeing the parameter file for the bread basket shape, Betty!

thanks,

Phil
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #8

Still fiddling PolyDraw, but no way I am getting anything that will work as an elongated basket. With a roughly circular object you can add the "waves" and a simple matter of rotating the rings for that weave effect where one ring zigs and the rings above and below zags....not so with an elongated oval object. I even tried creating two patterns, one with a positive wave amplitude and one with a contrasting negative amplitide, hoping could build a basket using alternating rings from each one....doesn't look like that will work either. Obviously I am missing some vital clue here that should not be rocket science - ha.

Phil J.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Author

Talking

Phil

You make round basket by twisting eacj layer by 1/2 wave.

For A oval you make sure you have an odd nu,ber of waves and mount each layer 189 degrees.

The same thing for a rectangle

For a square you need the number of wave to be even but not divisable by 4 (6, 19, 14, 18, 22, etc) and mount each layer by 90 degrees.
DaveVanEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVanEss View Post
Phil

You make round basket by twisting eacj layer by 1/2 wave.

For A oval you make sure you have an odd nu,ber of waves and mount each layer 189 degrees.

The same thing for a rectangle

For a square you need the number of wave to be even but not divisable by 4 (6, 19, 14, 18, 22, etc) and mount each layer by 90 degrees.
Dave,

Yes, that seems to work well indeed! Thanks for the tip! After going through the tutorials and fiddling a little it is all falling into place fairly well. PolyDraw is some pretty cool design-ware!

thanks again,

Phil