Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
cute and crafty

Default Swag-scallop bowl--one more coat, then done!

I decided to post a picture of the bowl, even though it still needs another coat of Waterlox. I may never use that product again, since it's taking me days, rather than hours, to finish the bowl.

Faced with three different sets of instructions--Teri Masaschi's (Foolproof Wood Finishing), the ones on the package, and the ones on the website--I created a rather unsightly mess, steel wool fibers and all. Fortunately, everything rubbed down (thank you, sanding mop!). However, I hate being misled on critical points like drying time, whether to wipe off the product, need for intermediate rubdowns, drying and curing times, and other important stuff. I think one more coat, carefully applied, left to cure, then rubbed down, will give the the finished look I want. It's a lovely product, but not quite a cinch to use, at least for me.

Anyway, here's the bowl, along with some pictures of what I look for when evaluating how I did. The close-ups of the swags show the few remaining jaggies, which I may never be able to avoid completely. The picture of the base shows that I was able to get the lower edge quite round and even, and was able to keep the stripes on the bottom evenly spaced. I also look at the symmetry of the shape, both rightside up and inverted. There are still small lumps throughout that you can feel if you're really obsessive, but nothing that jumps out at you. The flared outer rim is even and has the amount of thinness that I want at the edges.

If you make bowls and didn't see the pictures in the WIP section, check them out since there's a good amount of information there about making bowls of this type.

Thanks for following the saga--hope it was helpful and worth wading through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg almost finished 2.jpg (44.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg mis-alignment2.jpg (42.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg mis-alignment3.jpg (55.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg bottom inside alignment.jpg (58.0 KB, 46 views)

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #2

Very interesting bowl Carole. How thick did you put the finish on? Thanks for sharing it with us.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
cute and crafty

DW, the first two coats were pretty thin, and I had no problem. Then I decided to work outdoors for the third coat. The sun was pretty strong, and I put a moderate amount on, thinking that I could wipe off the excess. Not only did it dry up too fast to do that evenly, but I discovered that I had left a mess of steel wool particles on the surface that appeared as if by magic. I sanded it all away with 320 grit once it dried thoroughly. I did the next coat indoors, but couldn't get it too even. What's in the picture is the result of using my 320 grit sanding mop, which cleaned things up pretty well.

I'm hoping that one more coat, applied thinly and evenly, should bring it to where I want it to be. And I am going to have to carefully strain the Waterlox since I stupidly poured the excess back into the can, not realizing that it was contaminated with steel wool particles. Blah!

Minwax spray lacquer is looking better and better all the time!

Follow me on my blog:
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #4

I have found Carole that spraying seems to be the best way... at least for me. I have a background in painting aircraft I seldom use steel wool anymore... I tend to use a 320 mop that is nice and fluffy ( spacers between the layers ) I would have thought though that the waterlox would have worked better. There are several kinds of finishes made by them from what I have been reading on it what you are experiencing is not typical.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #5

I do really like the design Carole, and love the way the inside bottom came out so round. From what you have said about the waterlox, I don't think I will be trying it for now. It also sounds like having a sanding mop in the shop makes work a bit eaiser. All the tools I have, for some reason I have not spent the money on anything to making sanding eaiser. Ever notice how the smaller tools in our shop work so well.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior member...Sweeet

Sorry for the misfortune with the Waterlox, but your line ups sure do make up for it.......I wish, I wish, I wish I could make things line up like that. Back to the drawing board with your previous explanation. Just thinking, ya think you've got any steel wool particles in your sanding mop too?.......Maybe this would help loading washing machine.gif

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #7

The bowl is amazing!!! You do such GREAT work! And thanks for the details of your experience with the finish, as I have been wrestling with similar problems with finishes and thought it was just me. And I keep reading about this sanding mop -- it looks like I'll have to put one of those on my wish list!
PatteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
cute and crafty

Patte, thanks for your kind words. And you are not alone having problems with finishing. I could write a book on the problems I've had!

I have two larger sanding mops, 220 and 320 grit, and a smaller one that is 320. I found them really useful to rub down an intermediate coat of shellac, and also useful to clean up the wood to see where more work needs to be done. I bought a 180 mac mop that is supposed to be more aggressive than the regular sanding mops, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I think the mops are definitely worth looking into.

This afternoon, I'll wipe down the bowl with mineral spirits to be sure it's clean, strain the Waterlox, and apply it with a disposable foam brush. And pray.

Follow me on my blog:
Old 07-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

That is a beautiful box Carole, are the swags inlaid ? they look as though they are.
is it your own design?

I have never had any problems with finishing products, I use mainly spray finishes, preferably cellulose, they dry very quickly and give a great finish and enable you to recoat after a short time. I use good old fashioned elbow grease when sanding, although it can be hard work and time consuming I think the results show in the end product, I used to use danish oil but found it a bit messy and adds to the longer drying time.

Harry UK
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #10

I am so sorry Carole, I refered to your bowl as a box I have just realised.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote