Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

Default Thinking outside the box...

or a new design for the outside anyway. I decided to use up some scraps and play around with some new box designs. However, a couple of these created more scraps than I used up - lol! They have all been oiled/sealed with Watco Danish Oil, still need to apply topcoat to them and perhaps flock the insides.

My Stash Box pushed the challenge button up ten-fold (for me anyway) as I can't seem to keep anything square! The top 'book' is a drawer, with the two lower books creating a larger box. The lid (bottom of the drawer box) will be hinged...not sure if I am going to make them from wood or buy them - still a work in progress. Woods used: Cherry, Poplar, Maple, Purpleheart, Cocobola, Walnut, White & Red Oak, Zebrawood, Bloodwood, Chechen & Leapordwood. Dimensions 6-3/4" x 4-1/2", 5-1/4" Deep

Tried to upload photos for all the boxes, but internet connection is running slow...will try in another post.

Thanx for looking and letting me share...any and all comments welcomed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stash Box.jpg (131.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Stash Box Profile.jpg (134.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Stash Box Profile 2.jpg (137.3 KB, 105 views)

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com
lkbraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #2

Kim - Super design! Beautiful work! What else can I say. Fabulous!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #3

That's a great idea. Those look wonderful! This is definitely an "I wish I'd thought of that" project.

Have you considered having the spine extend high enough to cover the front of the top? It looks a little odd to me on the green one since you can see the top cover but not the bottom. The smaller brown drawer is equally unrealistic, but looks more balanced.

Something else we'll lose with our Kindles and Nooks

--Rob
Arcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Thanx Ric and Rob...it was a tough one!

Rob, yeah...I already have A LOT of revisions for my second attempt...if I can read all my scribbles - lol! I am not completely happy with my prototype yet. Not sure how to make the the tops and bottoms 'disappear', but still be there. Perhaps have the spine extend higher than the cover so it is in front of it. Hummmm...more math and more sanding - lol!

Thanx again guys...onto the next attempt! Have a Wonderful 4th!!!

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com
Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #5

Default Round two...

Here are a couple more boxes that I tried to attach in my previous post..

The Scallop Sea Shell Box was created from Auromatic Cedar...loved how the color turned out and thought it worked well with the coloring of the shell. I used an actual shell from around my pond for the pattern and cut it using segmentation. I did not take into consideration of how the shape of the lid would change once cut, shaped and reassembled... as I had already cut the bottom and had the glue ups in the press...OOPS. Had to make some modifications, but overall I think it turned out okay. Dimensions - 4-1/2", 2-1/4" Deep, also used Cherry for the shell base and bottom of the box.

Fish Box is created from Purpleheart, Yellowheart and Cherry. I created the pattern from a modfied piece of clipart from Corel. The fish was created by using intarsia cutting method, but no shaping as I used 1/4" wood scraps. I kept the inside of the box very simple, as I did not want to hassle with all the fitting/sanding on the ID. Dimensions - 7-1/2" x 5", 1-1/2" Deep

Once again...my internet just does not seem to cooperate...so I will try and finish downloading my remaining boxes later...sorry for all the post!

Thanx for looking and letting me share...any and all comments welcomed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scallop Sea Shell Box.jpg (68.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Scallop Sea Shell Box Profile.jpg (66.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Fish Box.jpg (45.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Fish Box Profile.jpg (46.3 KB, 52 views)

www.gonecoastalart.com
Old 07-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #6

Default Finally, last attempt at downloading images!

This is the last of my new boxes...sorry it took so many posts...ya gotta luv the internet sometimes :-(

Lily Pad & Flower Box was created from a previous pattern I used in one of my intarsia pieces...with a few modifications. The actual flower was cut using compound cuts...my first attempt at cutting and creating a pattern using this method. Needless to say, I had a lot of scraps - lol! If I make another one, I need to make some adjustments as I do not really care for how the different layers of petals 'stack' up instead of all coming from the center, I need to work on the angle of the dangle so to speak. The middle was a challenge too, as it was very tiny and fragile as each one was cut, shaped and then a hole drilled in the petals and inserted/glued...might be too fragile to be very fuctional. Woods used are Poplar, Yellowheart, Maple and Cherry. Dimensions- 6" x 4-1/4", 2-1/2" Deep

Last one, my Dolphin Box, is a simple design and easy to create. The only challenge is sanding the fuzzies from the fretwork, as the lines are really small. Woods used are Mahogany, Bloodwood, Chechen & Walnut. Dimensions - 4" round, 2" Deep

Thanx for looking and letting me share...any and all comments welcomed. Happy 4th of July!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lily Pad Box.jpg (62.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Lily Pad Box Profile.jpg (52.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Dolphin Box.jpg (76.1 KB, 46 views)

www.gonecoastalart.com
Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #7

I really like the boxes you made Kim. The books are classic. I think the fish and sea shell would sell very well in the Islands. Are they your pattens or can they be found somewhere?

Thanks for sharing them with us
Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Senior member...Sweeet

WOW and double WOW...........so glad you found time to post those photos, absolute eye candy, even sweeter than sweeeeeeet! Love em.

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #9

Wow - impressive.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #10

Awesome, fantastic and a big WOW. Kim you are very creative and excellent craftsman. I really love the Boxes and the Book Drawers are unique.

Mike
campasano is offline   Reply With Quote