Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #1

Default Repositionable Glue

Hi,

For those of you making scroll saw bowls and attaching ring patterns to the wood, what glue are you using? I'm just getting started and am trying a design in Carole's book. I used Krylon Easy Tack in a spray can and had a tough time removing the pattern from the wood after cutting the rings.

Ideally, I guess the pattern should peel off with the glue but I ended up having to scrape a large percentage of the pattern from the wood and had to clean the remaining glue off with some mineral spirits. Perhaps I sprayed too much glue on the back of the pattern or used cheap copy paper?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott
blacksummerrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #2

Scott try this easy trick. Put down a layer of either the clear packing tape or the blue painters tape on the wood .. THEN .. glue the pattern down to the project. Then after you cut the ring all you have to do is peel the tape and everything is clean and neat. Use the blue tape if you are not going to be cutting the project for a while as it will leave much less residue behind when you peel it off. This trick also has the added benefit that the tape will act like a blade lube and you will see less burning then without it.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
cute and crafty

Scott, I'm surprised that you had such a hard time, but my experience with spray adhesive has been uneven, although it's still the best choice for me. DW's suggestion makes sense. As a benefit, some wood, like cherry, burns easily, and tape makes an enormous difference.

Hope the rest of the bowl-making goes easier!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #4

Thanks DW and Carole for the replies. I'll try the tape trick next time as it sounds like a great idea. I'm using some Walnut and did experience some burning so the tape may help that issue a bit. The burning happened late into cutting the second ring so I attributed it to perhaps the blade becoming dull at that point.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

Scott I also use the packing tape at times, but other times I will use the spray glue and then after cutting the rings, I rub them with mineral spirits...let them soak a couple minutes and then just pull off the pattern. Then just let them dry and sand.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:50 AM   #6

Thanks, Larry. That trick will be good to have in the arsenal, as well.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #7

I've been using Larry's suggestion for quite a few years, and DW's for 1/2 or thicker woods. My workshop is in my basement, so I use odorless mineral spirits. A lot more user friendly indoors! Welcome to the forum, Scott!

Paul
paul44224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #8

I use Scotch (3M) repositional spray mount. It comes in a red can with a white top. I also do not put the pattern directly on the wood. I put the blue painters tape - delicate surface variety - directly on the wood and then put the pattern on the tape. I have found that the delicate surface variety comes off much more easily, especially if I have left the pattern in place for a while (six months or more????). Packing tape on top of the pile does help lubricate the blade more than just the painters tape but I find it makes the piece harder to control because it is slippery.

george

delta 650, hawk G426
sawdustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #9

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions everyone. I'm trying a pattern with the blue painter's tape. Hope to get the bowl cut over the long holiday weekend.

Glen was nice enough to send me plans for his guitar pick boxes. I'll be taking a shot at one of those as well.

Thanks again, Scott
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

I use a 9" XYRON and a 5" XYRON to apply repositionable adhesive to my patterns. It holds very well while cutting and releases easily without much residue when finished. These cost a little to use, but the benefits outweigh the cost for me. It makes using patterns so much easier than the tape or spray adhesives, which were a problem for me most times.
Probably not for everybody, but might be worth checking out their site. www.xyron.com
pmac53 is offline   Reply With Quote