Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
cute and crafty

Default 7-wave open segmented bowl

Haven't posted for a while, due to stuff related to the upcoming box book, but decided to get back to pushing the envelope on what can be done with scroll saw bowls.

This was supposed to be a more elaborate 2-blank project, but an attempt to undo a misaligned glue-up (resulting in some very expensive designer firewood) left me with one good blank. The openings destroy round inflatable sanding sleeves, and make it a 50/50 proposition that the project will get flung across the shop. I was able to reinforce the inside of the coarse sleeve with blue tape, but the other sleeves have openings even when new, and taping didn't help at all. The 7-wave shape (thanks, Dave!) also added to the problem, but I was determined not to lose all that time and costly wood.

So I did what I could, then finished up by hand. The main wood is maple, with 1/4" bloodwood and cherry veneer. Hope you like it--I think it was (almost) worth all the work, aggravation, and ruined sanding sleeves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overall view.jpg (47.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg side view.jpg (44.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg top view.jpg (55.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg inverted view.jpg (57.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg sanders.jpg (45.3 KB, 72 views)

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #2

Cripes! That is gorgeous. The envelop has definitely been pushed.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
Desert Woodcrafters woodworking club
Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.
stephenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

A Most eye pleasing bowl Carole. Well worth the "work, aggravation, and ruined sanding sleeves" Thanks for showing us once agian your amazing talent.

DW
DWSudekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

It looks great, much more than I'm ready to tackle.
It may make you feel better if you turn the air blue with a few well chosen words when these things happen. LOL It works for me.
Jack
JackM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #5

Just beautiful, Carole - wow, your choice of wood and the unique design turned out fantastic!

I'm going to have to google "sanding sleeve" tho, as I can't figure out what those would be attached to and how they would work. Ahhh, always something more to learn!
PatteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #6

Love it! Looks like a "real" basket, only prettier.

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
will8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
cute and crafty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatteM View Post

I'm going to have to google "sanding sleeve" tho, as I can't figure out what those would be attached to and how they would work. Ahhh, always something more to learn!
Patte, it's part of King Arthur's Tools Guinevere system. The sleeve fits over a round inflatable ball that is pumped up with a small hand pump. There are also several different types of drums. I use a drill press to hold the sander, but it will also fit on a flex shaft or directly on a motor. It is invaluable for sanding the inside of curved surfaces, since it does not gouge on the bottom edge. It is pricey, but short of making your own, it's the only tool that does the job.

Follow me on my blog:
Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

That's beautiful Carole. You certainly are pushing the envelope with this one. It looks like it was woven by hand. It definitely was worth the effort.

george

delta 650, hawk G426
sawdustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
cute and crafty

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments. What's neat is that nobody believes that it is constructed from a single blank, in the same manner, as any other bowl. And, even people who do open segmentation with the lathe would have a hard time handling the 7-wave shape.

I'm going to start experimenting with some other glue-ups and lamination patterns. Dave's program makes it easy to customize the size and shape--much better than the compass, French curves, and cookie cutters that I used to use, and the SandFlee can be used as a jointer to get good edges for gluing up. Progress!

Follow me on my blog:
Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
Senior member...Sweeet

a plus.gif Love open segment, as usual, you did one fantastic job Carole. Eager to read your process, hope its in your next book. While you are just sittin around.....yea right, are you working on your third yet?

My Gallery

" Two memorable things to say in life are Hello for the first time and Good-by for the last".
Wood Dog is offline   Reply With Quote