Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Bowls, Boxes, Compound, and other 3-D Projects
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Question for Carole

Hi Carole,

I took another stab at making the collapsable basket that is in the magazine. After it was all cut out and everything sanded I temporarily put in the dowels for the handle and opened it up. Imagine my surprise when the handles went way beyond the bottom of the basket. As near as I can tell they extend at least 3/4's of an inch past the bottom. I double checked the directions and since the saw was still set up for the angle I looked at that again. I did go the correct number of degrees that was recommended and it would appear that I followed the directions correctly. Am I correct in guessing that all I would need to do when I recut the bowl is to change the angle of the table? The only thing I can think of now is to make some spiral cuts at different angles and see if I can get a better result. Any thoughts?

Dan
Dan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
cute and crafty

Dan, did the basket open properly? With baskets of that type, the rings often have to be forced a bit to open, which makes them drop deeper. If you used the right thickness of wood, and the suggested angle (I think it was 3˚) it should work. The end of the handles push against the base strip to stabilize the basket. If the angle is too small, the rings separate into a spiral, which is what you don't want.

If you haven't attached a base strip, you should give that a try. That might solve things by exerting the needed pressure. If not, then post a picture, showing the extent that the rings will open with gentle pressure. That would help in figuring out what's causing the problem.

We'll get to the bottom of this yet!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

In my opinion it looked like the basket opened as it should. I don't recall right off hand what thickness was called for in the magazine. I used a 3/4 inch thick board. I'll have to double check the magazine when I get home from work. And yes the table was set to 3 degrees. I hadn't put the base strips on yet because I realized that the handles weren't even going to come close to what the picture showed. I'll try and take a few photos tonight and post them tomorrow. It's easier doing it here at work because my dial up takes for ever to do anything.

Dan
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
cute and crafty

Dan, 3/4" sounds right, so does the angle. When you take your photos, gently push the rings out until they lock firmly in place. If the "drop" looks OK, you can always shorten the handles, but if you cut them where indicated on the pattern, they should be approximately right. When you get a chance to post the pictures (dial-up must be very frustrating!) it will be easier to see what's happening.

Follow me on my blog:
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
MrsTrout's Husband

what size blade did you use?

Trout
Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #6

Carol, I've attached two photos of what the bowl looks like with the handle flipped up. I was leery about pushing any harder on the spiral part of it because that's how I managed to break the last one. And yes dial up is a pain. I don't even like posting from home because it takes for ever to type in a response.

Trout: right off hand I don't remember what I had in there for a blade.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0532.jpg (84.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0543.jpg (71.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
cute and crafty

Dan,

I pulled out one of my baskets, and it looks to me as though your handle may be a little too long. Double check it against the pattern, and if that's the case, re-cut it. If it matches the pattern, then attach the two base strips as per the instructions, and test out the handle again. You may find that it's OK with a little coaxing. If not, then make a mark on the handle where it hits the base strip, draw a straight line across, leaving it a bit longer than necessary, trim the handle, and check again.

As far as I can tell, your basket looks fine in terms of the drop. So, just continue on to the next step, which will make it easier to adjust the handle. Let me know how that works out.

Follow me on my blog:
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #8

I will try that. Thank you

Dan