Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Wood > Beginners_W
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2003, 12:59 AM   #1

Default woodworker wanna be.

I have just started a painting class, and am interested in cutting out my own patterns of decorative items (just an outline) such as snowmen, witches, etc. very simple woodcutting. what kind of saw is used?(litterally, ha ha) My budget is 200.00 or less. is that possible? any suggestions for brand, etc. is appreciated. thanks
Old 09-15-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Hi_Ho_Sliver

Default Re: woodworker wanna be.

what are you planning to cut them out of? Plywood? My first thought is a bandsaw...if you are talking very small items, you may want a scrollsaw. If I get the right picture of what you are going to do, I would suggest a bandsaw. You won't get anything worth taking home for 200.00 unless you can find a good one at a garage sale, the closest would be the grizzly Go55 bandsaw............all this is imho! (believe the grizzly is just under 400.00..385? but don't quote me!) :-/ :
Old 09-15-2003, 11:03 AM   #3

thanks Hi-ho Silver. Sounds like I might have to wait and save up a while. I think that it would probably be a pine or other soft wood. I would want the edges smooth and about 1 to 11/2 ' thick. It is so costly to buy the items already cut and I want to be able to cut my own. It would give me more variety. I imagine it would pay for it self in time. appreciate your answer, Lonnie
Old 09-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
Hi_Ho_Sliver

My thinking was right then on what you were going to cut, I know that is more money than you wanted to spend, but if you spend say 200.00 for something that is junk, and it is no fun using, you have wasted 200.00 and no products and later still have to go spend more money for a GOOD saw! but if you get a good saw and enjoy what you are doing, and in addition the saw will last for years.....this is all from experience, have gone the cheap tool route....just doesn't work! best wishes in whatever you do!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:03 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to mdallensr

Lonnie, we've had some good discussions on these boards about scrolling and band saws. Hi-Ho's right about the band saw. You don't want to try scroll-sawing 1 1/2' thick stock to make those parts. A scroll saw that big would be a lot of $ and still not as useful as a good bandsaw.
mdallensr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:18 PM   #6
Hi_Ho_Sliver

I forgot to mention, you can get an 1/8 inch blade for a bandsaw, they don't cut as tight a radius as a scrollsaw, but pretty tight........now with that said, if you want to do that! Get a GOOD blade, like a wolf from suffolk machinery, I tried a 1/8 in cheaper blade and it lasted about 10 minutes!! ??? :
Old 09-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #7

I agree with Hi Ho and MD, A good Bandsaw will do the job. I have both a band saw and a RBI 220 commerical scrollsaw. Both are equally used, depending on the application, which saw I use.
However.I have seen some real nice yard peices done with a Roto Zip. Have one, but only with lard application that I can use the band or scrollsaw.. Chips fly everwhere with it.

A good saw backed up with a good blade is unbeatable.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:10 PM   #8

That should have read,'Have one, but only with 'large' instead of 'lard' application that I can use the band or scrollsaw.
Fingers don't type what my mind tells them too. :
Old 09-16-2003, 05:16 AM   #9
plain_ol_ed

If these items aren't overly large, you can cut them out with a coping saw until you save up enough for a good bandsaw. The coping saw will be a little slow, but will work surprisingly well, just take awhile. But, you'll be saving money for the bandsaw. One additional question; How much room do you have? Big equipment is not well suited to an appartment or bedroom. All that said, bigger is better - always. Life is full of trade offs, darn it.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #10

Thanks for all the info! My dear husband surprised me with a Dewalt 788 for Christmas. Too cold outside now to use it, am anxious to get started!

« - | scroll wood blanks »