Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #1

Default Hole Size?

This is a newbie query. When I drill a hole for an inside cut, must it be a bit larger than my pin saw blade so the pin will clear the opening?
wazabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #2

if you can use a blade without the pin it's better but yes what ever it takes.
jimp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:15 PM   #3

To my mind, the bigger the better, within reason. I often drill several different-sized holes, knowing that it will be that much easier to thread the larger the hole is. It gets a little bit like overkill, though when you get much over 1/4 inch

"Edit twice, spell check, post once"
PiALaModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #4

WazaBiker:

1st, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

By now you will have discovered that many fretsaw patterns make the presumption that you are using scroll saw blades with out the pins.

Your pin type blades, because of the large hole needed for the pins to pass through, limit you on the fretwork patterns you can cut without modification.

Have you tried to contact the manufacturer of the saw, to see if they offer a pin-less blade chuck?

Phil
GrayBeard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Moderator CUT IT OUT

Default pin blade work around

Pin blades do limit the cutting of inside patterns to a hole the size of the pins.
You can however, remove the pin from the top of the blade with a pair of pliers. That way the hole you drill can be closer to the thickness of the blade.
Thread the blade through your pilot hole and put a safety pin through the hole in the top of the blade where you removed the pin. The safety pin will act like the original pin and keep the blade tight.

There are adapters available like Phil said. you can try http://www.pozsgaidesigns.com/
CanadianScroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #6

Default I Guess Size Does Matter

Thanks for all the suggestions on hole size for pin blades. My first attempt on a pattern that required 14 inside cuts brought stiffness in my neck and shoulders from the process of taking tension off the blade, releasing the grip on the blade, pushing the arm down enough to unhook the top of the blade and threading it through the drilled hole--14 times. Project came out so-so. Needed a bit of sanding and use of small files to knock off the inside bumps where I stopped and started the blade and all. Fret sawers must possess loads of strength, stamina and patience.
wazabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #7

You'll get used to it. I did a Last Supper scene two years ago on a Delta 2-speed. Took about 4.5 hours and had well over 14 inside cuts. Had a pinched nerve in my neck the next day that lasted a few months. Try raising the back of your saw about 4-6 inches. The rear leg on the DeWalt lets you do this and it makes a HUGE difference. I also stop about every 20-30 minutes and take a walk out to the street (about 100 feet). I stretch my arms and neck muscles while I walk.

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!
Woodbutcher68 is offline   Reply With Quote